Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much should I budget per day in the UK?

Dec 17th, 1997, 04:23 PM
Julian Chang

I would like to know how much to budget per person per day for a nice trip I want to take to the UK (including Wales and Scotland) in August 98. I don't like pinching pennies to the point where I am deciding between visiting a museum or eating but I like a good bargain like everyone else. I insist on eating well (doesn't have to be fancy) each day when I'm on vacation, and still being to see plays in London and buy souvenirs and visit attractions. Thanks for your help.

Dec 17th, 1997, 08:41 PM
Adina

I just got back from England and have received all VISA bills, bank statements, etc. Also just completed an expense calculation. Results: Plan on at least $100/day for accommodations for 2 which will include breakfast. Buy transportation (train passes, London tube, etc.) here before you go for greater savings. In 15 days we saw 3 professional theatre productions @ $10-$25 per ticket, purchased 15 minutes before show time (we got the best seats in the house). Total for all: $1,500 per week for a budgeted, but complete trip. E-mail me if you have more questions... Have a great trip!

Dec 18th, 1997, 04:47 AM
PD

Some say they have purchased their London bus and tube passes in US before their trip; others say it is not necessary. Does anyone know the advantages?... the price differential?

Dec 21st, 1997, 07:20 PM
Jenny

We found the cost of living quite high in the UK. Petrol was about 2.5 times what it costs in Australia. If you are American, then it would be even more expensive in comparison! We also found food to be expensive, up to double what we are used to, although some Americans we spoke to didn't think it was too bad. So I think the above suggestion of US$100 is probably fairly right, especially if you are wanting to eat well. You can purchase before you go a Londan Travelcard for 3 days or 5 days, etc which give you unlimited use on the underground and buses in London. These are only available outside of the UK, or so I understand and are cheaper than buying passes when you get to London.

Dec 22nd, 1997, 07:20 AM
dodger

My wife and I always purchase a one week travelcard in London. If you take a passport sized photo you can purchase the one week travel card for 12 pounds. About $20.00. If it can be done cheaper here I would like to know about it.

Dec 22nd, 1997, 09:02 AM
Mackay

We travel to England quite often due to family living there. When staying in the villages and towns (excluding London) you can stay at B&B's for about the equivalent of $50 for 2. We booked a B&B in Cornwall for March at 17 pounds per person per night. Prices may be a little higher in summer. Gasoline is DEFINATELY more expensive so it pays to rent as small of a car that you feel comfortable in. It currently is the equivalent of $5 per gallon. Eating in the pubs is quite inexpensive also. London will cost you the most. We always end up spending more there than anywhere (for our room, food, drinks, everything). So try to do your souviner shopping outside London. I have heard buying a pass for the underground is the best way to go. We have always had a car, so have never personally tried. If you have a car in London it is very expensive to park. It is going to cost us $30 per night (luckily we only have one night) to leave at the underground parking near the hotel. Enjoy yourselves and I'm with you...not wanting to worry about money, but wanting to get value for my money!

Jan 2nd, 1998, 07:34 AM
Jim Hanson

Where do you buy your transportation passes in the U.S. at?

Jan 2nd, 1998, 10:18 PM
Tricia

For transportation passes see www.eurotrip.com- click on Eurorail icon for prices. You can pre-purchase these. Also if you can access the "Excite Search Engine" type in travel to England and a great website comes up that you can learn a lot from. I reserved my rooms in Uk through this website and saved $30 (US) per night. When we stayed in London for two nights (3 of us) we spent $600 because of the high exchange rate (but we didn't pre-purchase our transporatation-we used taxis)

Jan 5th, 1998, 10:57 AM
dodger

Tricia, Don't you think its time that you stop your talk about the high exchange rate and the amount of money you spent while in London. You obviously do not understand how exchange rates work nor do you care to. London is expensive but no more so than any large city. If you spent your money on taxi's and high priced meals it will cost a lot. Please give it up. All you are doing is keeping people away from London by scaring them about your experiences which can be avoided if only you take the time to understand basic cost.

Jan 5th, 1998, 11:00 AM
dodger

Tricia, Don't you think its time that you stop your talk about the high exchange rate and the amount of money you spent while in London. You obviously do not understand how exchange rates work nor do you care to. London is expensive but no more so than any large city. If you spent your money on taxi's and high priced meals it will cost a lot. Please give it up. All you are doing is keeping people away from London by scaring them about your experiences which can be avoided if only you take the time to understand basic cost.

Jan 5th, 1998, 11:02 AM
dodger