Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much should I bring for a 10 days trip to Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-should-i-bring-for-a-10-days-trip-to-europe-1377475/)

passenger337i Jun 7th, 2017 04:03 AM

How much should I bring for a 10 days trip to Europe?

So, I'm an high school student from Turkey and we are going on a trip next week with our teachers to Italy, France, Austria, Hungary, Bulgaria, Bosna Herzegovina etc (I dont quite remember tho but we will go to like 7 seven countries). The money we give for the trip includes accomodation, travelling expenses and breakfast for everyday so, I need to bring money for having lunch and dinner everyday and for my personal use. Since I am a high school student I have no relation :D with banks or ATM :D I'll just have the money with me. My father is thinking about giving me 450€ do you think that it is enough? And do you have any tips for me about our trip? It can be about anything, thank you.

Edward2005 Jun 7th, 2017 06:10 AM

With the other expenses already covered, I would budget 50 euro per day.

StCirq Jun 7th, 2017 06:16 AM

Yes, 50€ a day sounds like a reasonable amount for a student. If you're really taking only cash, be sure you safeguard it carefully.

But are you really going to 7 countries in 10 days?

kerouac Jun 7th, 2017 06:52 AM

I think that should be okay because your trip leader will keep you in places with the correct rates.

Surely you have been given guidelines, no?

chartley Jun 7th, 2017 07:52 AM

Don't forget that Hungary, Bulgaria and Bosnia-Herzegovina have their own national currencies, although euro may be accepted.

passenger337i Jun 7th, 2017 08:23 AM

I, completely, learnt that it is 6 countries Austria, Italy, France, Serbia, Hungary, Helvetia and I guess we are just going to pass by some countries so yes we are going many countries. I hope 450€ is enough, thanks for your comments do you have any tips? Like, they say in Italy there are many robberies but I don't want to say or think anything bad about a country before even seeing how it is like.

Tulips Jun 7th, 2017 08:32 AM

Just make sure you keep most of your cash in a money belt, hidden away, and only use what you need for that day.

An ATM card would be safer - teenagers here all have them - but you will be fine with cash.

scdreamer Jun 7th, 2017 08:36 AM

Just be aware of your surroundings. Don't let strangers distract you - and as long as you are with your school group, you should be fine.

If you can, don't carry more cash than you will need at any one time. Maybe a money belt that can go under your clothing is a good idea - you can keep your extra money and any identification in it. Be sure to keep out the money you will need, though, so you don't have to go into the money belt in public. If you are carrying a purse or small bag, use a cross-body strap and keep it in front of you. Never hang it on the back of a chair if you are in a restaurant.

So much for you to see and do. Have a wonderful time!