how much money should I bring to Iceland

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much money should I bring to Iceland

Hey there-

I am going to be visiting Iceland from the US in late September. I am curious as to how much money I should bring? I have never been out of the country before...so I am at a total loss as how to gauge this. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I will be there a week.

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:37 AM

You don't need to take any money. Get cash from ATMs there -- just like at home, only the machines dispense Kronur instead of dollars. Use credit cards just as you would at home too.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kayd!! I guess what I was wondering is how much should I expect to pay for food and souveniors? I am a stay at home mom so I am trying to budget this so there will be no surprises.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
2g

I could not buy Icelandic currency for my trip outside the country unless I was prepared to pay an inflated exchange rate. Make sure you know the correct/bank rate. I changed some currency at the airport for a ride to town (the airport is an hour away), later I got a better exchange rate at the banks in town. Have a great time in Iceland, it's a great destination.
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM

Hi dizzdemey

There's a superb and busy Iceland forum at the following link. A few locals as well as regular visitors answer questions. I'd post yours there and I bet you get a fast response:

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowForum-...0-Iceland.html

Have a great trip.

joe
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much everyone!! I am heading to that forum now Joe!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM

To be a little bit facetious, bring billions of dollars--Iceland is essentially bankrupt. All 3 of the tiny country's major banks collapsed. Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2...nancial_crisis
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 02:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Generally Iceland is more expensive than the US but only 10 20% if you are sensible. Hotels especially so in Reykavik, though appartments are more reasonable. Restaurants offering international foods are also more expensive but Icelandic food is similar though portions will be smaller. There are perfectly good icelandic meals which ignor rotten shark and seal flipper.

Spas are very good value apart from the blue pool at the airport. even this is not horrible and is a unique experience
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Luckily I am staying with my friend...so I am only spending money on food, souveniors and such. This helps a bit!! THanks again!
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM

We returned back to the UK from an amazing week in Iceland last weekend, if you click my name, you'll see my report (still ongoing) if you are interested.

Eating out is fairly expensive but tipping is not expected - average starters seemed to cost around 1200 - 2000 krona (UK prices approx £7 - £11) and main courses 3000-4500 (approx £17-26). Beer in a restaurant was about 900kr, a glass of wine 1000-1200kr or approx 4500kr (and upwards) a bottle. Car hire is very expensive and you will be offered all sorts of extra insurance, petrol (gas) is around 190kr per litre.

Souvenirs such as the wonderful Icelandic sweaters were over £100. Most of the usual tourist souvenirs seemed pretty pricey. For some bigger items it is possible to get a tax refund, though we never bought anything that qualified for this.

Credit cards are accepted pretty much everywhere and we got a better exchange rate paying that way. Some petrol stations in the middle of nowhere were unmanned, self-service ones that had to be paid using a credit card.

Whar sort of holiday have you planned? It certainly is an amazing and scenic country, I hope you have a great time.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maria!! that helps alot! Luckily for me I won't need a car, or hotel. I am visiting an old friend from elementary school that I have not seen in about 20 years. She is from and still lives in Iceland. I am definetly going to click on your name and see your report. anything you highly recommend?
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Hi Dizzdemey,

We just returned on July 25th from a most awesome 9-day trip to Iceland. We didn't bring any money at all, or exchange any US dollars for Icelandic Kronar. I had read that Icelanders use plastic for every-day small purchases, and indeed we found this to be the case. Even for a bottle of water or an ice cream cone at a convenience store, we used the credit card. The only time we wished we had Icelandic cash was in the hinterlands (for instance at Hraunfossar cascades), where the toilets required coins for entrance. (this happened only twice in 9 days; in general facilities were quite available and free).

A word of advice though: check first with your credit card company as to whether they have a charge for foreign transactions. My Visa card did not, but my Mastercard charged a 3% fee for each transaction.

We often ate inexpensively at the petrol stations (I developed quite a taste for the Icelandic hot dogs!). On the couple of nights we splurged, we spent about $120 US for meals for 2 (with no alcohol included).

When we arrived, we stopped at a grocery store and bought a case of bottled water to keep in the car, along with snacks like granola bars and mixed nuts. This is often what we had for lunch, since breakfast always (well, 8 days out of 9) came with the room.

Whatever you see and do while there, you are just about guaranteed a unforgettable time. It feels like you're living in a post card. Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 01:32 AM

I assume if you are staying with someone that will be in the Reykjavik area? The Golden Circle route is an obvious day drive from there and deserves its reputation as a "must see". We then headed south-east along the ring road as far as Skaftafell - driving from there as far as Hofn. We saw some amazing places - turf houses, waterfalls, glaciers and the fantastic glacial lagoon - but most of this would really require overnight stays. The scenery is amazing - I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you end up! There is a link to some pictures on my trip report, if you are interested.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again Maria and NYNP. Luckily I am staying with my friend so I am sure we will eat some meals there...she does live in Reykjavik as well as having a house in the country. SHe did not specify where but we are spending time at both places.

So it seems to me that eating out can be affordable if you know where to go, as I am sure my friend does, as well as having a nice meal isn't that much more expensive then a really nice restaurant anywhere else. I think I am getting a good idea of how to budget...thanks so much again!! Maria...off to look again at your pics..did you add more since the last time you posted?