Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much money do I need to set aside? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-money-do-i-need-to-set-aside-42781/)

Stacey Mills Apr 22nd, 1999 11:17 AM

How much money do I need to set aside?

This is my first trip. I am going to London for a week and I was wanting to know how much spending money should I set aside(for eating, tours, etc)? I won't be spending a whole lot of money on souviners. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Bly Apr 22nd, 1999 11:57 AM

Stacey - it really depends on why you're going, what you want to do or see, your budget and how you're going to get around. If you already know this, post it and everyone can give you an idea of what it'll cost. Otherwise I would recommend you go to the library or book store and get a good guide book. Tours of churches and museums via the tube (subway) is going to be a lot less than a tour of all the shows via taxi. Let us know what you decide and everyone can help you plan. b <BR>

Stacey Mills Apr 22nd, 1999 01:00 PM

I am going to use the tube to get around London. My days are mostly going to consist of sightseeing. I am going on this trip with my family. Since this is my first trip, I going to see the main attractions. I am not going to do anything out of the ordinary. I am just trying to get an idea of how much money I will need a day with the sightseeing, eating, etc. Thanks for your help! <BR>

Dawn Apr 22nd, 1999 01:21 PM

I say it's always better to have a bit extra. It all depends on what you want to buy. Part of the fun of traveling is bring home mementos of the trip, so I bring a few hundred dollars for things. Usually I buy things for my home.

cheryl Apr 22nd, 1999 01:27 PM

Good for you for trying to plan ahead. But I'm going to agree with the message above and suggest that you get a good guidebook, and make a few decisions about exactly what you want to do. There are just too many variables. Do you want to eat in nice restaurants, or grab a sandwich somewhere? We usually spent about $30 per person for dinner. Are you planning to go to the museums? If you are interested in going to the theater, tickets can range from $20 to more than $80. You can find most of these prices in the guidebook. Good luck, and let us know if you have any specific questions.

bo_jack Apr 22nd, 1999 01:55 PM

If you can "guestimate" how much you would on a "similar" trip in the US -- then multiply that number by about 1.75. I think that would probably be a pretty good estimate. My guess is that you could get by on about $50-$75 per day -- but, obviously, twice that would be a lot more comfortable. (This is just walking-around, entrance fee, cheap eating, & bus fare money -- not a lot more.

Bob Apr 22nd, 1999 02:01 PM

I am writing from Canada, so the dollar situation will be different from U.S.$, but I have planned on most things costing almost twice what they would cost here, be it a simple meal at Macdonalds, or something fancier. I haven't been far off in many cases. As far as theatre, I still found it cheaper than New York.

Bly Apr 26th, 1999 07:51 AM

Stacey - Sorry it took me so long to get back to you... I still think that a good guidebook is the best way to plan your trip and the expenses. A couple hints: If you're getting the weeks pass for the tube, you need to get a passport photo. Its probably cheaper and more convenient to get in the US. Also, most of the big touristy sites are in zones 1-2. I buy a one-way from Heathrow to the city/hotel and a 7 day pass for zones 1-2. You can do this right at the baggage claim area of the airport. Buying just those zones vs. all tube pass will save you a couple bucks. Most of the museums are free but request a donation (a couple lbs). Depending on interest, you could spend a couple hours in each. Most of the big sites range from about $8-15 for admission. You could probably do a couple a day. Most of London is just being there - standing in Picadilly at night, a walk down the Thames by the Tower bridge, standing in Trafalgar Square - free!! As for food - depends on your family. You can go "relatively" cheap - sandwiches, etc. As per the previous poster, we usually spent about $30/pp for a nice meal. The ethnic food: Thai, Chinese, Indian, French is excellent. Also you should decide if you're going to take any day trips. This will add considerably to the cost of your trip. You can e-mail me directly if you have any more questions or need suggestions. Have fun! <BR>