Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much luggage space is there on the RER?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Lisa

We will be leaving for Paris in a few weeks and to save some money, we thought that we would take the RER from CDG to Gare du Nord and then taxi from there to our hotel. How much luggage space is there on the RER? My husband and I will each have a medium suitcase (about 25 inches high) and a backpack. Would this be too much luggage to try to take on the RER? We get in on a week day around 7:30 in the morning. Thanks!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:39 PM
huh

Luggage space? There isn't an area for luggage. You will just have your suitcase by your side. Shouldn't be a problem with that amount.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:04 PM
Statia

I agree with "Huh." There isn't anywhere to put your luggage, but it doesn't seem you have too much to use the RER. It's basically like a subway.

We did it with rolling carry-on suitcases and had no problem. Might be a good idea to have wheels on your suitcases, too, since you'll do a bit of walking, though.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:46 PM
Sue

We arrived at CDG just in time to hit the weekday morning rush hour; people did not look kindly at the space our luggage was taking up on the RER; can't blame them. It's been a shuttle or taxi for me since then!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:09 PM
Seamus

I do the same routine - RER to Gare du Nord then taxi - if traveling alone. If with a companion we usually split a cab. I recall that s few train cars have a space at the entrance for bags, most do not. Unless you are laden with an abundance of bags you should be fine. I usually have a rollerbag and a duffle and have no problems. You will have to carry your bags a considerable distance to get to the train and out of the gare, so keep that in mind. Again, if there are two of you it may be almost as cheap - and more convenient - to taxi right from the airport.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:15 PM
meredith

Lisa, I've done the very same thing (by myself, first time, and staying for a 4month term) and I really don't think you're going to have a problem. As long as you can manage your luggage somewhat swiftly and relatively easily, I think you'll be fine. All the more reason to "pack light"! as much as you can.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:18 PM
Sherry

Hi Lisa. You will have no problem with luggage on the RER.
If you decide to continue on the metro instead of a taxi to your hotel, retain your RER ticket that you validate when going through the turnstile at CDG. It acts as a transfer to continue traveling on the Metro. No extra fee or ticket required.