Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how much is car rental cost approximately in italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-is-car-rental-cost-approximately-in-italy-567088/)

travellerwannabe Oct 26th, 2005 11:01 AM

how much is car rental cost approximately in italy

Hi everyone,
i was wondering if anyone knows the approximate cost of renting a car for a week in italy (tuscany area)
how about a moped?

Michael Oct 26th, 2005 11:05 AM

Check with Autoeurope, they usually have the best rates for cars.

tcreath Oct 26th, 2005 11:22 AM

I second the autoeurope.com suggestion. The best rates and terrific customer service.

Tracy

travellerwannabe Oct 26th, 2005 11:31 AM

thanx guys
what about mopeds?

TuckH Oct 26th, 2005 11:40 AM

We paid $1200 for a 3 week rental of a compact wagon, at Fiumicino, through Andy Bestor at http://www.gemut.com (Gemut is partners with Auto Europe.)

Obviously a smaller (compact) car should be less per week and less if not taken at the airport. Also, ask for diesel.

nytraveler Oct 26th, 2005 11:51 AM

A moped (do you mean a Vespa?) is not recommended. It's too slow for the highways and riding in towns is a giant game of chicken - since there are very few traffic lights and laws are considered sugestions.

Unless you are an experienced biker I would not reco renting a motorcycle - and where would you put your luggage anyway?

And do you have a motorcycle license?

travellerwannabe Oct 26th, 2005 11:55 AM

I don't have a motorcycle license but my bf does. He's very experienced. I'm jsut wondering if it's an alternative after we've dropped off our luggage etc.
Will keep the lack of rules in mind. Does this apply to AC as well?

mv_rd Oct 26th, 2005 12:35 PM

I don't recommened a moped/vespa either. If you're traveling to distant towns, it will take forever to get there.

We paid $318 for one week through AutoEurope. They matched the price from NovaRentaCar.

lincasanova Oct 26th, 2005 02:22 PM

a car rental price means little if you do not know the INSURANCE included in the rate. these sound like great rates if they include zero responsibility total full coverage insurance.

otherwise.. add on about 15/20 euros/day.

many rental agencies do not even HAVE a zero responsibility possibility. make sure you read the fine print. some hold you liable for tires/windshields, tops, bottoms, and 600-1,200 euros damage.

just know what you are getting.

JeanneB Oct 26th, 2005 02:32 PM

Both of your questions depend on when you're going.

Car rental rates, for example, will be lower in February than June. But I wouldn't want to ride a Vespa in February!

cooltones57 Oct 26th, 2005 05:07 PM

I followed a tip from this forum and rented a car from SIXT. They were very reliable and I felt that the rates were excellent.

nytraveler Oct 26th, 2005 05:18 PM

Highway driving is easy - as long as you're experienced and have a vehicle that can keep up with traffic. And they do follow the rules (left lane for passing only is graven in stone) on the highway.

The problem is in the towns. They're old with tiny streets and sidewalks, most intersections don;t have lights, people drive everywhere, wrong wa down one way streets, park on the sidewalk etc - and anyone on a bike has an obvious disadvantage in the game of chicken.

jrchapma Oct 26th, 2005 05:52 PM

This is a tip I got on slowtrav today - use www.auto-europe.co.uk to book your rental. For some reason, the exact same car was about $100 less through their UK site.

tuscanlifeedit Oct 26th, 2005 07:10 PM

When I tried autoeurope.co.uk, the site came up as Britain's leading supplier or electronic parts. I put a hyphen in as in your post above, and it took me to the US site of AutoEurope. Any advice on getting to the site?

Also, how did you pay? When I booked flights on Opodo.co.uk, I had to get a Verified Visa form of some sort. Don't remember, but since there were three countries involved (a US user buying Italian air tickets from a British firm) they made me go through some Verified Visa rigamarole. I've done it now, and saved the info. Anyway, I am hoping for more details.

travellerwannabe Oct 26th, 2005 07:23 PM

riding in those towns sounds like it would be a nightmare we'll stick to the car

travellerwannabe Oct 26th, 2005 07:29 PM

hey tuscan
i cut and pasted the web address and it worked fine. maybe try again?