Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much does Enoteca Ristorante Pinchiorri (Florence) really cost?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:19 AM
ilene

I was thinking about making a reservation at this restaurant in Florence, which is supposed to be great, and then came across a post from today saying that someone ate there and the bill for two people came to $800. I realize that with wine, etc. that it is possible to run up a bill that high but I am interested to hear from others who have eaten there about how much their meals cost. I am talking about ordering a full meal (not skimping) and wine (but not several bottles and not the cheapest but not the most expensive either). $800 is a bit out of my budget so I'd be very interested to hear if one can eat there for less. Also, how was it? I've checked out the reviews on this site which seem uniformly positive, with a few unmet expectations, as usual. <BR>thanks in advance!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:11 PM
eu

Hi Ilene, <BR>at Enoteca Pinchiorri you can eat for $140-160 having a complete meal. I suggest this wine Badia a Coltibuono 1997. It cost 1/3 of Brunello di Montalcino and (don't kill me) it is better. I mean only one bottle obviously.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Lindsey

Ilene: <BR> <BR>I am the one who posted the $800 price for dinner for two at Enoteca Pinchiorri. The price was for a nine course prix fixe meal with matching wines for each course. My guess is that EU is more on target for the price per person for a smaller meal with a mid priced wine (relative to the Enoteca's wine list). <BR> <BR>Please note that the original post about this restaurant was in response to a request for a fabulous restaurant to celebrate a first anniversary, pricey would be acceptable. In my experience, the Enoteca was both fabulous and pricey. Met her criteria, so I posted an answer. <BR> <BR>The meal my wife and I had was a full blown splurge. It was our sixth anniversary, and we were staying in Florence for free (My wife travels quite a bit and had earned a substantial number of points with Sheraton). As a result, we were able to spend more than we typically would. <BR> <BR>Now for the key question, "was it worth it?" The answer is obviously contextual, but for me the answer is yes. It was truly the most outstanding dining experience I have ever had. The food was wonderful, the service unmatched without being overbearing, the food presentations were gorgeous. I don't have a palate (as the wine geeks call it) but the the wines complimented each course to the point where I started to understand the idea of pairing wines and food. <BR> <BR>Was this the best value meal I have ever had? No. There are so many little countryside places in Italy that serve an outstanding meal with wine for less than $40 per person. <BR> <BR>Am I promoting this place (i.e, is this self serving)? No. I live in the U.S., do not know the proprietors of the restaurant or the chef, and will in all likelihood not go back. The meal was a once in a lifetime experience that I am glad I had a chance to have. <BR> <BR>I hope this answers your question.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:05 PM
ilene

Lindsey <BR>Thanks! that is very helpful. The place sounds great (and I certainly did not think you had any self-serving reason to promote it!). just didn't want to go in expecting a pricey meal and end up totally shocked. I'll let you know how it is after I go! thanks again.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Lindsey

Your welcome. As an attorney, you also might appreciate a third factor in our willingness to splurge there. My law partner and I decided to split up our firm six days earlier on the day I was to fly to Italy. <BR> <BR>I hope you enjoy your meal there and every where else you dine. Be sure to share with us your experience when you get back. Also, make sure you read the menu carefully and ask for prices on anything where a price is not listed. <BR> <BR>Also, have a great time on your trip.