Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much do you budget for food & sights in Germany, Austria & Switzerland?

Jul 8th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

I've been meticulously planning our upcoming trip. (in 15 days, Yeah!!!) I have hotel reservations and know pretty much exactly what the hotels will cost. I also have a car rented and have an estimate on that total. I realize this is an ambiguous question but I will give you these details: We will not skimp on sights. We will eat at convenient places - we will not search out gourmet food, nor will we go out of our way to eat inexpensively. We will be driving most places as we are traveling with my 75 year old Uncle, so we will have gasoline and parking expenses to consider. Our territory will be: near Regensburg, Landshut, Munich, Garmisch & surrounding area, Innsbruck, Meersburg, Lugano & Bern. Any thoughts or experiences on over or under budgeting are appreciated. I'm going to attempt to put all of our travel funds in a seperate account to access with my atm/debit card, and I'd like some idea of how others decide.

Thanks!
H
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:11 AM

We have an overall budget plan we use - but it depends on your style of travel. We go by car, see whatever we chose, usually do one splurge dinner per week or per major city - whichever is less - and otherwise have casual lunches and pleasant but not * dinners.

Assuming breakfast is part of the hotel rate we figure $95 per day per person for food ($25 lunch, $60 dinner and $10 for ice cream or cafe drink) plus $150 per person for the splurge dinners.

About $25 per day for sights plus $25 per day walking around money per person. Have never calculated gas or tolls - it never seems to be very much (at home gas and tolls cost us about $100 per week).

And although obviously some days cost more than others, using these numbers we always have cash in hand at the end of the trip.
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Wow, NYC's budget is way above ours. On average, we spend less than $95 per day per COUPLE. We are not big eaters but we enjoy good local cuisine. Much depends on if you have alcohol with your meals - we don't except for the occasional beer or glass of wine. However, in some cases, beer or wine is cheaper than soft drinks or mineral water.

We did find that food and other things were generally more reasonable in Germany and Austria than in Switzerland. And you will find things cost more in big cities than in the countryside or in small towns.

Gas costs are difficult because it depends on the model car you're renting, weather conditions, personal driving habits, etc. Check out this link for gasoline prices. Maybe you can estimate your driving distance, miles per gallon for your rental car, etc. and come up with a rough estimate.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/st...ne_prices.html

As far as sights, sometimes you can check to see if they have a website. If they do, they will usually show opening hours and entrance fees if any.
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM

I only know Switzerland and it is expensive! I allow $100 per day for myself, sometimes spend less not often more, for food and entertainment and shopping & that does include quite a bit of delicious Swiss wine.
Jul 8th, 2004, 02:33 PM

In Germany, we ate well for 30-45E a day per person--depended on how hungry we were and what one of us might be craving. This would include a couple of beers or some wine at dinner--one beer for me at lunchtime.

We did make an effort to avoid tourist areas at meal time, and our hotels included breakfast in the room rate.

A typical dinner place for us would be the Liebighof in Munich. http://www.liebighof.de/

Or the Alpenhotel Meier in Hohenschwangau http://alpenhotel-allgaeu.de/engl/e-willkommen.htm

Or the Rathaus Schaenke in Bamberg. Can't find a website for this place.
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM

We just got back from these 3 countries. We generally ate lunch and dinner in sit down restaurants and typically had one glass of beer or wine at each. We generally ate at restaurants with entrees around $12 to $16 per person. Beverage was generally around $4. My kids drank cokes which were around $3 so, yes, beer/wine was generally not much more than the cokes. We ate either German or Italian food at most meals. We didn't do gourmet at all and only ate at cheap places a couple of times.

Zurich was the most expensive. We finally broke down and had McDonald's for lunch one day and spent $30 for the 4 of us (we just had big mac, coke, and fries). It was actually pretty good but very expensive.

We had Italian ice cream every day and a small scoop was only around $.80 to $1.00.

Since we ate decent lunches and dinners we didn't snack too much (besides the daily small scoop). Portions are pretty generous at all meals.

Meersburg is lovely. We stayed there for 3 nights at 3 Stuben and absolutely loved the town. Go to Mainau Island. This was one of the best things we did on the trip and I'm not a huge garden fan. Beautiful flowers and the rose garden was incredible. If you are there on a Sunday keep in mind that pretty much all the shops are closed so do your shopping Saturday morning (some shops were closed Saturday afternoon).

Have a wonderful time.
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:08 PM

we will spend 29 days in germany leave 9/7 return 10/5 this is trip #30 since 1975. we will stay in apts again this trip except for 1st 2 days in mannheim. we have relatives and friends all over.1 week in suhl many friends and relatives in area. 1 week in wachenheim 5 nites wehlen on mosel at wein gut 6 nntes engeholl on rhine 1100 euro total lodging we will plan on 150 per day we have been told the prices have doubled since the euro made its entry 2marks 1 euro now 1 for 1 also have auto for trans.
Jul 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. Now at least I have a range of ideas from high to low for budget purposes. I wish I knew if our rental car was gas or diesel as that can make a difference. I believe it's a Mercedes and we rented it through Sixt. Thanks again.
H
Jul 13th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Just a tip about fuel prices. Gas (petrol) is cheapest in Switzerland, followed by Austria (very little difference) and Germany (much higher). Diesel is cheapest in Austria, followed by Germany and Switzerland (the last two not much difference).
Jul 13th, 2004, 05:17 AM

whatever you are taking for Switzerland, double it!