Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much cash to take for 3 weeks in Turkey? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-cash-to-take-for-3-weeks-in-turkey-114683/)

Ann Mar 25th, 2001 05:55 PM

How much cash to take for 3 weeks in Turkey?

We're leaving soon for 3 weeks in Turkey, and I've read that it's wise to take some American money. Can anyone provide info on when/where American money can be used, which denominations are most useful, etc.? Thanks for the help.

Al Mar 25th, 2001 06:55 PM

Here is our opinion based on two trips to Turkey. Yes, take some American money; you can withdraw Turkish lira from ATM machines. We found that a roll of $1 bills can be useful; take about 50. Then take $5 bills; again, about 50. That's $300 -- or about $100 a week for your three-week trip. Use your VISA card to charge as much as you can. Use your ATM card, but try not to overload yourself with Turkish lira as your trip draws to a close. You can charge most lodging and many restaurant meals.

Susan Mar 26th, 2001 05:05 AM

We had mixed experiences withdrawing cash from Turkish ATM machines last September. Our experience is limited however - we were there only a week and only in 3 towns (Fethiye, Kalkan and Kas) on the Mediterranean coast. Our bank is on the Plus system and very few banks in that area were affiliated with that system. In Fethiye, which is a reasonably large town, we found only 1 bank that accepted our card. In Kalkan, there was only machine - it didn't accept our card. (It did work fine for the British tourists.) In Kas, there were a few machines, but none of them worked for us. We're Canadian, but fortunately we had brought some American cash. In Kalkan, where we spent 4 days, we lined up at the post office to exchange our dollars. One evening, they actually ran out of lira just when I got to the front of the line! I was back there the next morning. <BR> <BR>A lot of places did take Visa, especially restaurants. Our pension in Kalkan didn't, although their restaurant did. <BR> <BR>We really didn't anticipate that problem with ATMs. I was so glad I had brought along some American dollars! Turkey was fabulous to visit and we're hoping to go back in 2002. I don't know what I'll do then re money. Travellers cheques? Seems so old fashioned. But on the other hand, finding yourself with no cash in a town where the ATMs aren't on your system is not fun!

Barry Mar 26th, 2001 05:50 AM

I suggest that you take lots of caah esp $1.00 bills as they are preferred for tipping. If you are planning to "buy stuff" you will be able to get a better deal if during the negotiations it is clear you are going to pay in American dollars.If you can use a credit card I found when I got the bill i got a better rate than the one quoted in Turkey.....Enjoy your trip .I loved the coastal towns in the south and want to go back soon.

Patrick Mar 26th, 2001 06:50 PM

I am a firm believer in ATM's and never take American cash or traveler's cheques. . .until going to Turkey last summer. I had two hotels that quoted my prices in US dollars and told me I'd get a 10% discount if paying in dollars cash or traveler's checks, so I did. The same with a preplanned hot air balloon trip in Capodocia. Those 10% discounts on big ticket items were worth the trouble of taking a few travelers' checks. On the other hand, I never tipped with US dollars, it just seems so -- tacky.