Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How much cash to bring for 10 days in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-much-cash-to-bring-for-10-days-in-paris-1014412/)

Hoai May 15th, 2014 04:17 PM

How much cash to bring for 10 days in Paris

There are 4 of us (2 adults and 2 teenagers). We rented a flat in Paris and it is paid for. We also have a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fee. However, it would charge 3% for ATM withdrawals. We do not have any definite plans and will at the minimum visit Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Seine river tour, Versailles, Giverny. We do not plan to eat out at fancy restaurants.

nytraveler May 15th, 2014 04:24 PM

If you must land with cash change $100 to euros at your departure airport. The rate of exchange will be awful but it's so little it doesn;t matter.

In Paris pay for everything you can with credit cards and pull walking around money from your checking account at an ATM connected with a bank. This will give you a rate of 1 to 3% above the interbank rate - versus 8 to 10% above it you will get at a bureau de change. And why carry a lot of cash around with you - only asking for trouble!

mamcalice May 15th, 2014 04:44 PM

In other words, don't bring cash at all. Get enough euro at the airport upon arrival (at an ATM) to pay for a taxi to your apartment.

Hez May 15th, 2014 04:46 PM

Use an ATM at the airport in Paris. I would get 400 Euro and then use your credit card as much as possible. Give each person 100 Euro - then you're not carrying all the cash in one place.

Make sure you let your bank know you're travelling and also make sure your daily withdrawal limit is high enough.

Lastly, you say your credit card will charge you 3% for taking out money - I assume you mean your debit card?

k_marie May 15th, 2014 05:13 PM

Do not use a credit card to withdraw cash at an ATM. Use a fee-free ATM card from a bank.

janisj May 15th, 2014 09:08 PM

As the others say - use a credit card for many purchases, and an ATM/debit card to get cash as you need it. Whatever your bank charges for ATM withdrawals will be less than the cost of buying €€ at home or in a currency exchange.

Never use a credit card to get cash unless it is an absolute emergency.

Reading54 May 16th, 2014 02:01 AM

For those who have used debit/ATM card to withdraw cash in a foreign country as recent as April of 2014, you may be up for a rude surprise.

BofA now charges 3% foreign transaction fee for using their Debit/ATM card to withdraw cash in a foreign country. I had to call BofA to complain in order to get these fees waived. Banks are finding new ways to increase their bottom line, and I am sure BofA is not the only US bank started charging this fee.

Reading54 May 16th, 2014 02:07 AM

Make that "For those who have NOT used debit/ATM card to ...."

janisj May 16th, 2014 05:27 AM

That is still cheaper than bringing the €€ cash with you.

sparkchaser May 16th, 2014 05:35 AM

The advice here is pretty solid.

The only bit I will add is that credit unions typically charge less than banks do for debit card usage. Mine charges around 1% FOREX plus $1 for not using their ATM.

vincenzo32951 May 16th, 2014 06:08 AM

I'll second Hez's recommendations. 400 euros should be sufficient. You don't want to be stuck with a lot of euros at the end of your trip, and then have to exchange them at a bad rate. (Alternative: a stop at the airport gift shop.)

You can use a credit card to pay for just about all the attractions you mention in your post. No one can predict your buying habits, but it seems you'll need cash only for, maybe, a quick snack or some public transportation, if you choose to use it.

Hoai May 16th, 2014 08:48 AM

I had not planned on bringing my debit card with me on the trip. But I guess I should after reading all the comments. I did check with my bank and was told that my bank will not charge me anything for withdrawing money oversea. However, the bank owning the ATM will. What is the normal rate expected for ATMs in France? Is it a flat fee or a percentage?

suze May 16th, 2014 09:10 AM

I would send 4 people to Europe with no cash. I think that's not good advice.

I would take about $500-worth, in euro, getting the foreign currency from your home bank. Or take your debit card and using the ATM after arrival, then only $200USD just to have as an emergency back-up (plus remember you'll need a little USD for airports going and coming back).

Kathie May 16th, 2014 09:12 AM

PS Don't use the Travelex machine at the airport - big few, poor exchange rate - and it is the first ATM you will see. Once you exit the secure area you will see HBSC ATMs. Sorry, don't know the fees, as our Brokerage account refunds all ATM fees so we never see them. Usually, it is a flat fee. Foreign exchange fees are a percentage: 1-3%.

janisj May 16th, 2014 09:32 AM

Haoi: your bank is wrong (most American bankers know nothing about foreign exchange). Bank owned ATMs in Europe won't charge you a fee. Your own bank might (most do) but the European bank won't.

StCirq May 16th, 2014 10:03 AM

Banks in France do NOT charge anything for an ATM withdrawal. The only bank that will hose you on that or exchange/transaction fees is your own. Your bank is totally mistaken, as they so often are.

Kathie May 16th, 2014 10:20 AM

But - if you use a privately owned ATM (like the Travelex machine at the airport) you may well incur fees. Other than the one inside baggage claim at CDG, I don't know hoe prevalent those machines are.