Reload this Page >

How much cash should I take to France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Colleen

Hi all, <BR> <BR>We'll be spending 6 days in Paris and 7 in Nice. How much cash should I take? I know cash machines are everywhere--my inclination is to take around $500.00. Sound reasonable?

Old May 12th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Christina

I suppose if you're comfortable carrying that amount on you. I never take that much cash with me, even for trips of a month to Europe, if you mean your native currency. I take a very small amount for potential food/transportation etc problems in the US to/from Europe (like about US$100). I do carry about $500 in US dollar travelers' checks, though, for safety as I get them free from AAA, so why not.

Old May 12th, 2001, 01:44 PM

topper

Old May 12th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Brenda

Colleen, <BR> <BR>We were in Paris & Portugal for 10 days in April. I took $800US in cash. I came home with $500 of it. I used credit cards for the hotels and rental car and some big meals. <BR> <BR>You should be fine with $500 for Paris. I haven't been to Nice, so I don't know if it's easier to use cash or credit cards. <BR> <BR>You, as I did, must be very careful with that much cash. I always carry my cash/credit cards/passport in a small neck pouch I sewed which is the exact size of a passport. I can keep it inside my shirt, even on the airplane. If you can't keep that much cash next to your skin, then you should rethink your situation. We were approached by a team of young gypsy girls in the Paris subway. The surrounded us as we entered a car and tried to pick our pockets and purse. It happens so fast that you can't respond. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time. I know I did!

Old May 12th, 2001, 07:08 PM
Brian Kilgore

It depends in large part on what kind of life-style you'll have over there, but that sounds reasonable to me. Divide it up among several pockets, just in case you meet some bad people. <BR> <BR>A suggestion I saw in a newspaper today is to increase the spending limit onyour credit card before you go to Europe. The idea is that while automatic bank cards let you withdraw money from your bank account, losing this card is a real problem because they can't be replaced really quickly. <BR> <BR>Having a credit card (stored somewhere other than where the bank card is) is a good backup. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR>

Old May 12th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Joel

It really makes no sense to carry any more cash to France than you would carry to Brooklyn. My company gives us 50 FF to handle minor expenses before we can get to an ATM. I have used hundreds of ATMs in France between living and visiting there on business. Don't risk theft and don't bother carrying a wad. In any case, you'll use plastic for all your purchases.

Old May 12th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Bottom

Hey Topper, can't you find anything in life besides being a Fodor's cop. Person has question, person gets answers. If you don't like the subject go somewhere else. Get a life.

Old May 12th, 2001, 10:28 PM
Pat

I took US$300., brought back $200. Bank machines are everywhere and more or less free. You get the day's bank rate. <BR> <BR>One thought--double check your PIN for each and every card you take. I forgot one and regretted it.

Old May 13th, 2001, 12:00 PM
aimee

When I withdraw money, the debit card I have gives me a choice of 2 checking accounts that I have w/the bank. Has anyone had any experience w/this? Will it be a problem in Europe? Closing one of the accounts isn't an option.

Old May 13th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Bob Brown

I suggest to all of us who have used plastic for everything in Europe to rethink the position. Many of the major bank credit card issuers are now slapping a 3% conversion fee on all non <BR>US dollar charges. Traveler's checks suddenly look better, particularly if you can get them for free. <BR> <BR>I have use a Bank of America card extensively the past 3 trips to Europe. <BR>But from now on, I would pay 3% for each usage to convert it on my monthly bill. <BR>I say would, because BOA just lost a customer.