How much can I bring back?

Mar 21st, 2002, 07:18 PM
wino/liquer addict

How much can I bring back?

What's the import limit for wine/brandy to the USA - One litre ? one bottle? One case?

Mar 21st, 2002, 08:05 PM
Rex

Practically speaking, as much as you can carry home physically in your luggage.

There are two sets of laws - - customs establishes how much you can bring before tyou have to pay "duty" ("federal excise tax?") - - but they seem to never enforce it.

Your own states's Alcoholic Beverage Commission has jurisdiction over whether you can import alcoholic beverages at all - - and they have been known to confiscate everything you bring back with you.

Here's a reference which gets further and further dated - - but is still essentially correct, I believe.

Previously posted about two years ago, and a little out of date then:

"Getting Your Wine Through Customs"

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Sp...ollecting.html

It seems to be the consensus in both this article and all over this forum that it is essentially impossible to ship wine home.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 24th, 2002, 02:37 PM

topping

Mar 24th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Leslie

I just returned from Budapest today, and the export rules are that you are entitled to bring back 2 bottles of liquor (including wine) per person duty free. You are supposed to declare the additional bottles, and the duty fee would be 4% of the sale price. Of course, if you don't declare it and don't get caught, then you won't pay anything. I entered the US through Chicago, and Customs was making about 1 out of every 6 people open their suitcases this afternoon.

Search this Thread