Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much better are the prices in Italy compared to the US?

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Jodi

Wondering if anyone knows what the price difference is between shoes in Florence at the Prada store and here in the U.S. I looked at some shoes last week and they are about $300 or so here. Since we are leaving for Italy this week I didn't want to buy anything and figured I could get them there. Any idea as to the prices there?

Appreciate your responses.

Jodi

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Santa Chiara

Jodi, I can't answer you exactly but I think that they should be around 400 to 500 thousand lire or about $200 to $250. Everything should be less expensive given the strong dollar, but every price you see in Italy includes the value-added tax (IVA), which is 20 percent. A rule of thumb, however, is that you will dollar for lire, get a better price in Italy on some goods such as shoes.

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 01:15 PM
mark

While in Rome I looked at some Prada shoes - they were similar to the prices here in NYC. Clothes on the other hand were much less in Rome than in NYC. A shirt I bought in Rome for around $65 went for $165 here in NYC. As for Florence specifically - I don't know. As for buying here or there - buy them there. They'll be a nice reminder of Italy.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Jodi

Thanks Mark and Sara for the advice. I think I will take you up on your advice, Mark and buy them there. Nothing like bringing some clothes and shoes to remember Italy by. I am sure I will have much more than shopping to do there but it will be fun for a day or so.
Jodi

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Tina

I checked out numerous shoes while in Italy recently, and it seemed that the prices were comparable to what we pay in the US. The handbags, however, are a great deal. Check out the "not quite world famous" Italian brands like Furla and Simone- beautiful bags at very reasonable prices (less than $100US).

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 07:35 PM
Cyndi

I'd also like to know.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:11 PM
Beth Anderson

Furla! Furla! Furla!

Spend your leather dollar in Florence. You wouldn't believe the number of leather goods stores there....