Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many rolls of film do you take with you for a one week vacation?

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:00 AM
nick

How many pictures, on an average, or how many rolls of film do you take for a one week vacation?

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:26 AM
lbb

We usually go for two weeks at a time and take around 12 to 14 rolls of 400 and 800 speed film. We usually have two cameras one loaded with black and white film and one loaded with color. So on average a 6 rolls a week. We are getting a digital camera so all of this is going to change for us. I love having pictures to gaze back on so that I can remember the wonderful times. My memory is totally awful so I wouldn't remember much without them.

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:31 AM
trying

10-20 (closer to 20), but this is probably a mix of 24s and 36s. We waste a lot of film on the same pictures (we like to stock our photo albums with decent pics, so we take lots of pics, giving us room for error!)

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Marilyn

Three (just enough pictures to remind me of the good times).

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:42 AM
susan

1 is plenty for me per week (3 weeks = 3 rolls my last trip). i want to see my vacation not only from behind the lense of a camera. and that is more than enough to get the highlights (IMHO)!

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:48 AM
xxx

I am not joking when I say this, I was in Italy last spring for 10 days, I took 40 rolls of film with me and still had to buy more.

I do however tend to take 10 shots of each thing I want to photograph, using different angles, different exposures etc. I am a photography nut.

Oh well, I had a wonderful trip and almost every shot turned out great.

Oct 11th, 2002, 11:56 AM
snap

To each his own, but we take a lot of pics. Even so, we don't see our vacation "only from behind the lense of a camera." Obviously, the less spectacular the location, the few photos. I thought as I grew older and more jaded, I'd take fewer pictures, but I'm not sure that is happening. For one thing, we can afford more film! We also take more family pics now that we have, well, a family. I'm sure like others here, we live our vacation, but we are better able to re-live it through photos.

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:16 PM
kindly, susan

I sincerely don't mean to be insulting to anyone... but if someone takes 4 rolls of film PER day for 10 days, you gotta admit they've spent quite a bit of time behind a camera ;-)

Also I am fortunate to mostly stay with friends who live in Europe, so it would be weird to be whipping out my camera at dinner parties in peoples homes, a speed boat ride graciously given on the lake, etc.

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Dori

I'm like you, Susan. I think the best pictures are people pictures, but I hate whipping out my camera when I'm with people and having a good time. So, I generally bring one roll of film on vacation, take about six pictures of scenary, if that, and then have to take the remaining pictures of my cat when I get home in order to get the film developed! Wanna picture of my cat? Have about a hundred of them!

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Rich

I started, many years ago, taking a roll of 36 for each day. That seemed to work well. Some days I shot more, some less.

Once I had lived in a few countries and got used to travel I found I could buy it on location and have it developed there as well, not have to worry about airport xrays, which for while were really strong, particularly if you went thru several on the trip.

I now find myself taking fewer photos and I use a digital camera almost exclusively. It is a lot smaller than the Nikons and I find I tend to use it more.

Rich

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:46 PM
amy

As I posted not too long ago, I've stopped taking my camera. I buy disposable cameras when I'm over there. The price usually isn't too bad, I'm able to get the same or better type than here, and the film has gone through at least one less set of security x-rays.

I came to this practice because I noticed that I had a hard time telling which ones were from my camera and which were from the disposibles I always give my kids on a trip.

The really nice thing about it is that I therefore tend to take as many pictures as the scenery, company requires. Some one-week trips will be three to four rolls; others will be one.

Oct 11th, 2002, 12:51 PM
lbb

Oh I forgot to mention that my husband and I both have a degree in fine art. Many of the shots that we take are framed and sold. We also take photographs of things that we would like to incorporate into a painting or piece of artwork at a later date. We would never be able to accomplish this with just one roll a week.

Oct 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
g

Depending on the location, we have taken anywhere from 2 to 6 rolls of film with us on a week long vacation. My fiance and I both take cameras. We often take pictures of the same thing or the same area, but it is interesting to see the different perspective we both have of a similar subject. For example, Trafalgar Square - he might take a picture of the area overall, whereas I might take a picture of a child feeding a pigeon...

Oct 12th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Sarabeth

I am like many of the people who have posted...I always take at least 20 rolls of film, mixed 24 & 36....i usually take 2 cameras and have one loaded with black and white with my telephoto lens as well. Better safe than sorry...I also will take 2 or 3 views of the same thing...I don't want to come back saying "I should have taken....". You can always use the film upon return....If you are doing alot of flying request that security hand check your film, especially if it's 1000 + ASA.
I'm fighting the use of a digital camera. I love having pictures in my beautiful Italian photo albums...and I know that if I go digital I won't print as many...

Oct 13th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Joyce

I never pack film. Instead, I buy all my film at my destination. Advantages of doing this:

- Not having to pack film leaves more space in my luggage space for other things. Luggage space is limited enough as it is without further reducing the space unnecessarily.

- not having to deal with security x-rays on the outbound trip

My camera uses standard 35 mm film that is sold everywhere in Europe. I never have a problem locating stores selling film, and have always found prices to be approximately the same as in the USA.

Oct 13th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Belinda

How can you all afford to have all that film developed? Talk about post-trip blues! I like to get my pictures on a CD, then I can post them on my website and email them to friends. I have a wonderful slideshow of my favorites on my computer as a screensaver.

Oct 13th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Jim Tardio

I usually figure on 5 rolls a day minimum. But I snap a lot of duplicates in both the horizontal and vertical position.

I take 95 percent color slide film, and the other 5 percent divided between black & white and fast color print film.

That sounds like a lot, but I can assure you that I don't spend the whole trip looking into a viewfinder. In fact I probably spend more time sizing up a scene. I tend to shoot very fast after I see something.

I take way too much equipment, but I make a part of my living doing this.

A note to folks that are switching to digital: make sure you have your shots printed out when you return home. I've got lots of friends who've kept them only on disks, and have either lost them or broken them. Think how long your grandparents' or parents photo albums have been around. The longevity of digital has yet to be proven.

http://www.jimtardio.com

Oct 13th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Myer

I usually take a roll a day. I don't spend time waiting for the exact light or walk around looking for just the right angle.

I take what I like and worry later which are the ones I really like.

Unfortunately, our last trip to Italy reulted in too many that we like. Not all have been hung yet. The rest are in albums that we look at to remind of the trip.

www.travelwalks.com (non commercial)

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:25 AM
dan woodlief

Depends on where I am going. I recently shot 19 36-exposure rolls in 4 1/2 days when I attended the Antietam 140th Re-enactment and visited two battlefields (would have shot more if not for rain on one re-enactment day). This trip was a solo one, so I concentrated more on photography and was often out by just after sunrise. For family trips to the beach, I use 1 to 1 1/2 per day. For a two-week Europe trip, I usually shoot 2 to 2 1/2 per day. My lab is fairly expensive; if not, I would shoot more. Like Jim Tardio, I like to shoot the best subjects from multiple angles and in different light. However, one reason I don't shoot even more is that during the mid-day I will take hardly any photos if I can possibly come back in better light. I usually scan 20-30 (or more sometimes) from each trip and put them on my Web site within a couple of weeks or so after a trip. www.oneeyed.homestead.com. It is a lot of work because I do the scanning and digital work myself. If anyone is interested, my photos from the re-enactment are now online, but I have a little work to do on the page structure. I am adding about 25 new Antietam battlefield photos today (check after 1:00 EST) and 25-30 new Gettysburg ones by the end of next weekend.