Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how many pieces of luggage should we bring between the both us on our honeymoon?

Search

how many pieces of luggage should we bring between the both us on our honeymoon?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:18 PM
giovanna

hello my name is giovanna.Next year my fiance' and I will be going to Europe for our honeymoon we will be going for 6 weeks. We Were wondering how many pieces of luggages,should take between the both us? We will be going to Paris first for 5 days.Then to Italy by Train for the rest of honeymoon, We will be going to Firenze, Roma, then down south to visit our relatives.How is the room on the train in the middle of September for people who are on Vacation? If anyone or other couples done this could you please help us out. We are from Thunder bay, Canada. thanks <BR> <BR>giovanna

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Rex

Two apiece. the first should weigh no more than eight pounds (4 kg) empty - - and when fully packed, you should be able to carry it while running up a flight of steps without touching any wall or handrail. It should fit in an overhead luggage compartment of an airplane. <BR> <BR>The second should weigh no more than eight OUNCES when empty (think lightweight nylon duffel bag). when fully loaded, you should be able to carry BOTH pieces (walking) up a flight of stairs without touching a wall or handrail. <BR> <BR>Despite these limitations, you can still take a ton of stuff with you (depends on how strong each of you is). <BR> <BR>And it is not altogether to take a THIRD empty bag (again no more than eight ounces empty) for bringing home more stuf than you left with. <BR> <BR>I give roughly this same advice whether the trip is six days or six weeks. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Trish

Giovanna, <BR>I wholeheartily agree with Rex! We never bring more than 1 week worth of clothes regardless of length of trip. Laundry can be done easily (by hotels or at a laundry) and usually reasonably (underwear you can do in the sink)(since this is a honeymoon, get him started correctly - he does his, you yours or take turns- you don't do it all)and you really don't need to carry heavy bags all over France and Italy. Also, don't bring anything that you really don't want to lose.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Ed

I'll second Rex' advice in general. No more than you can comfortably carry, at one time, for a distance of one block or at least up a flight of stairs ... without stopping. <BR> <BR>Doesn't matter how many bags. Doesn't matter whether you'll be gone for four days or four months. Unless you're going on a cruise (only) or have servants, take no more than you can comfortably carry at one time. <BR> <BR>Many items can be washed and dried overnight in the room. (Most hotels don't like this, but ...) A tiny investment in a travel washline is worthwhile. Julie likes to carry powdered Woolite. <BR> <BR>Take along a few moderately sturdy (gallon size?) plastic bags for those days when things don't dry and you have to change hotels. <BR> <BR>Dark clothes show dirt less. Don't worry about an extensive and varied wardrobe. Nobody but the two of you will see each other every day. Other tourists will more likely be focusing on the sites, not your clothes. <BR> <BR>Most hotels will have laundry and possibly dry cleaning services, but they're very expensive, and sometimes take more than a day or two to turn around.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Ed

Oh, I meant to ask, Giovanna: <BR> <BR>Thunder Bay!? Marvelous canoeing ... do you get a chance to do that? <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Rex

Whoops - - I left out a word - - hope you understood anyhow - - it is not unreasonable to take a third (empty) bag... <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 02:18 PM
giovanna

thanks for the advice,rex, ed,trish ,i sure take it. I was think about same amout but wasn't to sure. Keep up with the good advice.giovanna. <BR> <BR>p.s to ed's question, I don't canoe.But I know people here like to do that though, I have tried it once and I had fun though. take care.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 04:03 PM
richard

My fiancee & I practically RUINED our first overseas trip together, because of too much luggage. Those train stops are very short in some towns, and I would suggest that you "dress to live, not live to dress." We're going on our honeymoon for 20 nites this May, and we're taking one large suitcase each, and a nylon duffle for purchases.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 04:12 PM
xxx

If you're taking a LARGE suitcase each, I wonder if you really learned! <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Ed

Well, "large" is okay, as long as you remember the "you pack it, you carry it" rule. <BR> <BR>Remember you want to be able to lug it a block non-stop, up a flight of stairs and ... forgot to include this in earlier message: <BR> <BR>Lift it overhead to an overhead rack by yourself. <BR> <BR>You may think you'll always be with hubby, but things don't always work that way in travel. <BR> <BR>Trust me (us) ... you'll travel happier if that bag (bags) are easy for you to handle. <BR> <BR>A reason for two bags rather than one large one? Balance and workload sharing. <BR> <BR>While you may not have two exactly equal bags, sharing the burden of, say, 40 pounds of luggage between two sides of your body makes for a much easier carry (or lift) than a single 40 pound bag. (Or heavier?) <BR> <BR>As I said earlier, number of bags in unimportant, as long as you can move them easily when you have too. But do take into account what makes for an easy carry, or lift, as opposed to a struggle.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Brenda

One more suggestion Giovanna. Although each of you will have your "own" suitcase, it's best to divide & equally share the luggage space (BOTH of you have some items in each). And although it probably won't happen, JUST IN CASE the airline loses one of your pieces of luggage, then you won't have to deal with running around in Paris trying to buy a new wardrobe.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Annie

Hi all <BR> <BR>Geesh this is indeed really advice much needed...but i need a little more help. My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon too this July to Europe, though it will only be a 3 week affair, but we're going to so many different types of places that it's maybe a little hard...We're going to fly to Zurich first, then take a train to Interlaken (probably) for 2 nights, during which we will go see the mountains (i suppose we will have to bring a thick winter jacket for this?). Then we will fly to Paris, stay for 3 days, then take a train to Barcelona. Barcelona 1 night, then we will board the Celebrity cruise for 12 nights, ending in Istanbul. Then we will fly home. Help! I can foresee that the packing is just gonna give me endless headaches

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Rex

Annie, <BR> <BR>Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and your new married life! <BR> <BR>Now take a deep breath and relax. <BR> <BR>Yours really IS a special case - - people cite cruises as the one situation where you might want to take all kinds of fancy clothes, and take all the luggage that your cabin will comfortably hold. <BR> <BR>I hate to recommend that you lose a day of seeing Paris to shop, but I really think this is a key to your being able to dress up, as you might wish, on the cruise, and keep light for the first part of your trip. Yes, that means getting more luggage from Paris to Barcelona, but you will be all right for that little bit. And two (or three) really nice dresses - - along with one suit, plus perhaps a blazer and nice coordinated slacks will meet yout needs on the cruise. After all, you are there for each other, right? You aren't going to be negotiating with the ship's captain to buy the cruise line, I assume. <BR> <BR>This sure sounds like an extraordinary honeymoon. Times must be good in Singapore! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>P.S. And I don't think you will need any "heavy" outerwear for Switzerland in July. <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Ed

In fact mountaintop visits can get pretty cold, summer or winter. <BR> <BR>Little known fact: temps drop 3-5 degrees Fahrenheit for every added 1000 feet in altitude, 5-10 centigrade per 1000 meters. (If it's 72 in Interlaken (a 'normal' temp for the summer) it will be freezing, plus or minus a few degrees, at the Jungfraujoch. Just a few degrees warmer than that at the Schilthorn. <BR> <BR>Sun, clouds and wind will add or subtract to the apparent temperature. <BR> <BR>Net, if you're going to visit mountaintops, summer or winter, you may not need a "heavy jacket", but some layering, windproofing and sun tan lotion will be most useful. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Annie

Hi Rex <BR> <BR>Times aren't good in Singapore, but we ARE going to make this the trip of a lifetime no matter what! <BR> <BR>Tks so much for the advice. Seems like it's either we bring more luggage, or more money In fact, my fiance is even thinking of wearing the suit onto the plane so that we don't have to squash it in the luggage Do you think we can just wear the same outfit to every occasion that requires formal dressing? Dressing up is not of great importance to us, since we would already be dressing up big time on our wedding We are just thinking of enjoying the experience and taking in as many sights as we possibly can, with minimum amount of stress. Heck, if I allow it, my fiance would wear the same pair of pants for the whole 3 weeks!! <BR> <BR>Would it not be cold in the mountaints, even if it is July? Also, would we need formal wear AGAIN if we go see the moulin rouge? <BR> <BR>Tks again for the help

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Rex

Ed's advice is good about the temperature of actually going up into the mountains (like on a tramway). Let him advise you about that. He's forgotten more about Switzerland than I ever knew (and besides, he likes the place! - - I myself, think that it is over-priced). <BR> <BR>I am not at all expert about dressing for cruises, but i think that a lot of people who get really dressed yp - - with multiple outfits do it because they can and like to do so - - and in many cases, they are traveling on the cruise with others they know. You and your fiance are there for each other. One pretty dress, and his suit (or blazer and slacks) might be all you need. <BR> <BR>But I submit and submit STRONGLY that monmey spent on a new dress is better than money spent going to the Moulin Rouge. Besides, while there might be some people dressed up there, there will be just as many NOT dressed up (and I'm not referring to the attire on stage). <BR> <BR>More entertaining than the Moulin Rouge is lunch at the Musee d'Orsay. If, by chance, you don't believe me, go to both. And if you don't like the M d'O better, send me the bill, and I will pay it as your wedding present. <BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:08 PM
StCirq

If you're traveling on trains, the less luggage the better. It takes amazing fortitude to schlep bags on and off trains (been there, done that, for years, traveling alone on one leg of the trip with two kids), and if you're not getting on at terminus stations, you have to act fast and expect impatient people to be lined up behind you. One small roller suitcase plus one knapsack or equivalent is what we carry, whether it be for a one-week or six-week trip. You can always pack an expandable nylon bag to bring back things you've purchased along the way - so at the end of the trip you've got an extra bag to handle. But KEEP IT LIGHT!You'll be cursing at the train stations if you don't. And laundry is easy to deal with along the way.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Annie

Hi Rex <BR> <BR>Pardon my ignorance but...what is the Musee d'Orsay? Can I just walk in and have lunch without reservations? <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 03:08 AM
kate

All the responses are right on. I suggest you visit Travelsmith.com This company offers a variety of great mix/match, no wrinkle, sink washable itmes that you can use. I suggest that you each take 1 suitcase (no more than 22 inches in height)with wheels, 1 tote bag that you strap on to your suitcase and a backpack--that should do it. Have a wonderful time.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:07 AM
lisa

For Annie, <BR>For the cruise, try one black skirt with a few different lightweight tops that don't take up too much room.Or one black dress with different scarves. You may want to think of investing for your husband in a blazer/jacket that doesn't crush when packed. Travelsmith and others have them. <BR> <BR>For the less formal nights for him, how about the pants that zip off at the knees? He'll have long pants at night and shorts during the day. They are also a good idea for visiting mosques and churches where knees have to be covered but it is too hot to do the rest of the touring in long pants. I am sure they are as available in Singapore as in the States. If not, once again, travel catalogues. <BR>