Reload this Page >

How many nights to see Normandy area/Loire Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:19 AM
weeb

We have 10 days total to play with and wondering if anyone could suggest how many nights to allow in the Normandy area (3 or 4 or...)and then when we venture to the Loire Valley (2 or 3 or...) how many nights to allow for that? Haven't figured out anything inbetween yet but we're working on it!LOL

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:51 AM
debbie

Weeb-- we went into Loire from Burgundy (barge cruise). Spent 4 days, 3 nights in Loire and that was plenty. Maybe could have done with 3 days as got tired looking at chateausbut did lots of other things which added diversity. Took a hot air balloon ride over Chateau de Chenenceou (sp?) and that was fun. In Samaur area we saw Trodulytes (sp?) and a mushroom cave which had them deliciously grilled after seeing them grow in darkness. Also saw two son et lumines at Chateau Blois (best light show ever portrayed over chateau walls) and Amboise (more of a play in French- ok). <BR> <BR>With the Eyewittness Guide to France we picked the chateaus we thought were most interesting, about 5, but did not enter them all. The book tells which are furnished, not many of the ones we picked were. Depending on which chateaus you choose may determine length of stay. <BR> <BR>In Normandy this site helped to get me a hotel on Le Mont St. Michel. Gave me best time to arrive/leave next day after the busloads. Then to Honfleur and Dayville and Throville (spelling is off). One night for Mont as the abbaye has a very nice light show at midnight. Leave before tourists next morning. Did not feel more time was needed. We did this Normandy part in 2 nights/3 days. <BR> <BR>Hope all helped. This forum certainly advised me wonderfully for France two years ago which was a fabulous trip. Now planning Italy. Bon chance!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Jacqui

We spent two nights in Normany- one at Arromanches, and one at Mont St. Michel. If I had to do it over again, I would have spent two nights at Arromanches and skipped Mont St. Michel completely. The Mont was a let down and not worth the ride. Arromanches was beautiful, and although I am not a WWII buff like my husband and father who I was with, the area was beautiful and I would have liked more time just to relax and explore the countryside. If you need hotel recommendations, please feel free to email me!

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 02:43 PM
Alexandra

Hi, <BR>We stayed in Normandy at Mont St Michel for 1 night, then for 2 nights in the Loire Valley. <BR>I thought that was just perfect, I thought that Normandy was interesting, but it was too cold and windy. With the exeption of Mont St Michel at NIGHT, Normandy was what I liked least of our trip. <BR>Two days visiting chateaus seemed just the right amount. I would also recommend the Burgundy and Champagne regions, They are very scenic, and with nice warm weather. <BR>This is an account of our 3 days in The Loire Valley and Normandy. <BR>We first arrived at the Loire Valley where we stayed at the Chateau de Pray, near Amboise, for 2 nights. we visited Chenonceau and Amboise. We left at 2 PM and drove to Mont St Michel, where we arrived at 7:30 PM. It was actually a great time to arrive because the big crowds were finally leaving, and it was not very crowded. We stayed overnight at the Mont. This was an experience that I really enjoyed. We visited the Abbey at night, and we walked inside the medieval town, there was not many people during the night, and it was very beautiful and peaceful. The night visit to the abbey, is during the summer months (I think until October or November) They have special lighting, and play classical Music. It was very , very nice! The next morning, we had breakfast at the Mont, and left at around 9:30 AM, which is when the toruist busses, and the crowds were arriving. We didn't even bother to visit Mont St Michel during the daytime, it was SO CROWDED that I know I would have hated it. Visiting it at night made all the difference. <BR>From Mont ST Michel we proceded to visit the DDay Beaches, WWII Cementeries, Point Du Hoc, etc,. We stopped for a snack at downtown Bayeaux. Then we drove towards Giverny (on our way to Paris) and had barely some time to visit the Monet house, before they closed. <BR> <BR>Alexandra <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:08 PM
StCirq

Weeb: <BR> <BR>I would spend 4 nights in Normandy and 3 in the Loire. There is more to see and do in Normandy, IMO, and more territory to cover. In fact, I would split those 4 nights up between two bases. We found it took us two full days to take in the beaches and the Mémorial museum in Caen, plus the tapestry and cathedral at Bayeux, plus just some tooling around. Another two days could easily be spent visiting Honfleur and Rouen. And that doesn't account for going way west to le Mont St-Michel (which though it may have disappointed some is still a monument of fairly great historical significance). In the Loire, if you base yourself in Amboise or Blois you can pretty much exhaust the main châteaux and other sites, exclusive of the troglodyte caves, tapestry of Angers, Jean Lurçat museum, etc., in the western end of the département. <BR>But really, there are so many ways to skin France.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 01:17 PM
weeb

Thanks everyone for your help. Ended up with Rouen 1 night. Honfleur 1, Arromanches 2, Dinan 2, Chanacay (Loire Valley base) 3. We've done the Paris whirlwind and wanted to relax and take in the slower ambience of France. <BR>Any more suggestions for anything inbetween...pass it on. <BR>Regards

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 02:04 PM
just my opinion

It doesn't sound too relaxing to me, you'll be packing, checking out, checking in, unpacking, etc, etc. half of your trip. For 10 days, I would pick a home base (one) in Normandy and a home base (one) in the Loire Valley.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 03:12 PM
weeb

Maybe I need to rethink this but didn't want to be backtracking too much either with the driving. The worst will be the first two 1 nighters but figured we'd get a slow start our first morning out and wouldn't accomplish much with Giverny/Vernon/Rouen to explore first and wanted to spend the night in Honfleur to experience it after the tour buses and cruise ship people left for the day. After that I figured 2 nights in such small towns would be okay and enough. Then really take it easy in Loire Valley with 3 nights in a B&B. <BR>Course with any luck in accommodations being available all plans can be changed.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Tania

I went to France a few times and also visited these 2 areas, but I guess that maybe it is too much time for theses 2 regions...but of course, it depends the rush you want...an area that I LOVED also and is not so far from Paris by car - is the Burgundy region: Dijon, etc. Well, all France is very beautiful anyway.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Joe

Weeb: Given your available time, the itinerary you came up with is fine. We spent about the same amount of time in the area you are visiting with the exception of the Loire where we spent two nights. Focused on Chambord (huge, extravagent) and Chenonceau (so overwhelmingly beautiful) and to a lesser degree, Amboise, Chateau Fougere and Langeais. Don't miss Le Clos Luce where Leonardo spent his last years. Fascinating! Dinan is my favorite villiage in Brittany. The half-timbers are phenominal. Be sure to do the crepe and cider thing.<BR><BR>Rouen is interesting and beautiful. Honfleur is peaceful and beautiful (really takes one day to see, but a neat town to hang around). <BR><BR>It is too bad to be so close and still miss the Bayeux Tapistry and The Mont. Thought: If you did one day in Honfleur and two days in the Loire, you could do the Mont as well. I gaurentee that it is worthwhile. But, maybe another time.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Anita

We spent four days, three nights in Normandy. Really wished we had had more time -- at least another day. Stayed one night in Rouen at a forgettable hotel and in Bayeux at the Chateau d'Argouges which I highly recommend.