Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How many hours to spend in Bargello, Santa Croce, etc - Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-many-hours-to-spend-in-bargello-santa-croce-etc-florence-680263/)

ltilley Feb 16th, 2007 06:08 AM

How many hours to spend in Bargello, Santa Croce, etc - Florence

We are going to be in Florence in three weeks... and I'm trying to plan out our days...

I'd love to know about how many hours we need for a few sites, so I don't over pack our days...

I'd love feedback, on how many hours we should alot for the following:

Bargello
Accademia
Santa Croce
Museo del Duomo
Uffizi

Thanks so much!

Grinisa Feb 16th, 2007 06:39 AM

It depends on how much you want to study the art and whether you are interested in looking at every single piece in the museum or are just hitting the highlights. I'd say the average tourist can get a good overview of the first four in an hour or less, not including standing in line for tickets. The Uffizi is a different story. You could spend all day there and not see everything. I would plan at least two hours, three if you really love renaissance art.

ltilley Feb 16th, 2007 09:07 AM

thanks Grinisa... that's very helpful... I was hoping about 2 hours each... and this gives me some confirmation with that....

I appreciate the response!

ronin Feb 16th, 2007 09:49 AM

We felt a bit rushed by prevailing traffic at several of our museum stops - Guggenheim, Uffizi, downstairs at Accademia. However, after our David experience, we went upstairs at the Accademia and chanced upon a fantastic collection of ancient hand-printed hymn books - all with a beautiful hand-painted "1st letter" for each page. We had the entire upstairs to ourselves for almost an hour!

Mimar Feb 16th, 2007 10:04 AM

You do know about getting reservations for the Uffizi, right? Otherwise, you'll have to add time standing in line. And people are getting reservations for the Accademia now, too.

ltilley Feb 16th, 2007 10:30 AM

Yes, thanks Mimar... I am getting those resrvations now :) Thanks for looking out for us!

Ronin, great info... I'll be sure to check that out!

Lisa

missypie Feb 16th, 2007 10:36 AM

Hope this is not too late, but check the opening hours for the Bargello before you make Academia and Uffizi reservations. It does not have lengthy operating hours; we could never get there during a time it is open.

ltilley Feb 16th, 2007 10:53 AM

thanks missypie, I will definately look into the Bargello's hours!!

missypie Feb 16th, 2007 11:24 AM

Monday to Sunday 8,15-13,50
Closed 1th, 3rd and 5th Sunday and 2nd , 4th Monday of each month; New Year’s Day, May 1st, Christmas Day

One of our problems with seeing all we wanted to see in Florence is that we were there the first weekend of the month. Lots of things (like the Bargello) were closed on Sunday; others (Uffizi and Acadamia) are closed on Mondays.

Michaellip Feb 22nd, 2007 04:21 AM

I think the hours for the Bargello have changed. I called yestrday and was able to make a reservation for Saturday 3-17-07 at 3PM. I just called the reservation number again to make sure. 011 39 0055 294 883. I listened to the opening and closing hours and they stated 8:15 to 6:00PM Tuesday thru Saturday.

Mike

missypie Feb 22nd, 2007 06:11 AM

How nice that the Bargello has expanded their hours! A few months too late for us, but nice anyway.