Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How many hours needed at Heathrow before flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-many-hours-needed-at-heathrow-before-flight-304236/)

kateg Apr 6th, 2003 12:23 PM

How many hours needed at Heathrow before flight

We will be traveling to Ireland and London the end of May. Our return flight is out of Heathrow. How many hours are needed to check in and get through security to make our flight?

jor Apr 6th, 2003 01:23 PM

The last time I flew out of Heathrow I had to go through seven layers of security. It took over an hour for one of the check points. I got blasted about why I was leaving the UK at one check point, and at another I had my dirty underwear pulled out of my luggage for everyone else behind me to see! When I finally got on my flight I was a stressed-out mess. Get to the airport 5 hours ahead of time and save yourself the problems.

mclaurie Apr 6th, 2003 01:25 PM

You should ask your airline what they require and abide by what they say. It's usually 2 hrs before, but with beefed up security they may require more.

FAMOUSUNCLEART Apr 6th, 2003 01:50 PM

I left London in Nov. 2002 and allowed 2 hours it was barely enough. The duty free is amazing so I wish I had had more time for that reason also.

janis Apr 6th, 2003 02:33 PM

Most of the airlines are now saying 3 hours - but some say 2 hours is enough. One day/time security might be quick but at another tine it could take every minute of 2 to 3 hours. There is plenty to keep you busy at LHR so err on the long side.<BR><BR>And when in doubt - ask your airline

Deloris Apr 6th, 2003 06:00 PM

Everyone is right and the best part is Heathrow has fabulous DUTY FREE shopping with major boutiques! Get there early and shop til you drop, saving money as well!!!!<BR>OK, unless you don't shop and then you really save!!!

Grasshopper Apr 6th, 2003 06:04 PM

I flew out of Heathrow in March. Two hours was plenty. I went through 1 security check. I'm not sure what Jor is talking about.

Clifton Apr 6th, 2003 09:40 PM

kateg<BR><BR>We did exactly the same Ireland/London, out LHR trip.<BR><BR>I'm with Grasshopper. I think you'd be safe with 2 hours. Check with your carrier to see what they're recommending. But if you're nervous, go early and get something to eat and get some last minute gifts &amp; whatnot to take home.<BR>

MelJ Apr 6th, 2003 09:44 PM

I flew out in Late February, a day or so after all the security was put in place because of the granade at Gatwick and rumors at Heathrow. We were there 4 hours ahead of time and had a LOT of time to kill. We flew British Airways and they have several lines, with a person at the end of each to ask where you are headed and send you to the correct line. It goes very smoothly.<BR><BR>However, they wouldn't let us in line because we were outside the two hour window, so it was useless being there so early.