Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many Greek Drachmas should I take for my three week vacation to Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Karen

Any suggestions about how many Greek Dr. to take for a three week trip? How about U.S. travellers cheques?

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Patrick

Don't take any! Just have plenty of money (less than for most European destinations) in your checking account and take your ATM card. Maybe a couple of Traveler's checques or better yet a small amount of US cash. It will be easier to use or exchange the cash than it will to cash the traveler's cheques.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Susan

Hi Karen. We're going in September and all my research indicates that you can find ATM machines easily. I have more or less stopped taking travellers cheques on my trips - I usually just take a small amount of U.S. cash (better than my Canadian dollars) and use ATMs or my Visa as much as possible. If someone advises differently, please let me know!

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 10:36 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Karen, The answer is indeed none. Take <BR>your ATM card, with a 4 digit PIN, and <BR>your visa card---all you need.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 11:14 AM
kam

Hi, I agree with all of the above. Bring ATM card, lots of them around, even on the islands. <BR> <BR>As far as credit cards go, bring VISA. I visited shops & most everyone only wanted VISA, even when they had Mastercard posted on window. <BR> <BR>Also, very important, besides the ATM card, be sure to have credit card, that you can get a cash advance from. Because when visiting in Sept. 99", during Hurricane Floyd, we were unable to use ATM card for over a week, due to computers being down on east coast. Luckly we were able to get cash advance from credit card at bank. Just FYI... <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 08:42 AM
Bill

I'd suggest taking some Travelers cheques just in case you lose your ATM card.