Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How many days in Venice and Verona is enough? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-many-days-in-venice-and-verona-is-enough-136610/)

Cass Jul 5th, 2001 08:39 PM

How many days in Venice and Verona is enough?

Can anyone give me a good idea on how many days I need to enjoy Venice and Verona?

Leslie Jul 5th, 2001 09:28 PM

Venice - opinions will vary between those who LOVE Venice and people like me who find Venice interesting for a one-time visit but, otherwise not head over heals in love with the place (crowds of tourists and pidgeons spoil it for me in the nice weather months and the weather spoils it at other times of the year) My opinion is two days is enough, three if you want to see the major museums and lots of churches. Don't know Verona.

Anna Jul 6th, 2001 02:10 AM

Well, count me as one of the ones that LOVES Venice! I've been there 5 times now and always cry when I have to leave (last 2 times my husband cried too!). The longest time I've spent in Venice is 10 days and it was too short IMO. I'd say stay as long as you can there (and be sure to stay in a hotel in Venice, don't leave at night! We did that one trip and it was a drag). On our last Venice trip we went to Verona right after and it was a shock to both of us to be in such a polluted loud city full of Vespas after the peace and quiet of Venice (and this was in early June). My husband just hated Verona and couldn't wait to leave so we saw little in our 2 days there.

Paige Jul 6th, 2001 03:47 AM

I really like Venice (been there 4 times) and 3 full days there would be enough for me unless time wasn't a concern and I could stay as long as I wanted. In my opinion, the best way to spend your time in Venice is just wandering around, getting lost. We had 1 full day in Verona which seemed to be enough, but I'm sure we could've stayed longer.

mbb Jul 6th, 2001 04:27 AM

Cass <BR>Venice was one of only many stops for us on our trip the past three weeks. I loved it and thought it was beautiful despite the crowds and the pigeons. However, I could not imagine staying for ten days. I think three is plenty.

Howard Jul 6th, 2001 05:26 AM

As a Venice lover, I'll to strongly disagree with Leslie's comment about the weather spoiling a visit in the "other times of the year." Venice is wonderful and magical any time of year, rain or shine. Hey, it's even great when it floods!

Betsy Jul 6th, 2001 05:39 AM

I've been to both places. My opinion is at least 2 nights in Venice, (3 would be better). Verona for 1 or 2 nights at most, unless you're using it as a base to see other things. Also, if possible I would schedule Verona before Venice so it doesn't disappoint. It is worth seeing, especially the forum, which has performances in the Summer. I would schedule it before Venice, because after Venice it can seem too hot and loud and it simply doesn't hold the magic of Venice, especially at night. In fact I stopped in Verona for lunch and some sightseeing in one afternoon on my way to Venice that evening and it felt like enough time.

dale Jul 6th, 2001 05:49 AM

spent ten days in venice in feb and mar 01 during carnevale with its unbelievable crowds and including a day of wet snow. i would stay there forever if i could figure out how to manage it. verona is worth a day trip.

Rose Jul 6th, 2001 06:09 AM

I have to agree with Betsy. We have just returned from Verona and Venice where we spend 1 night in Verona before going to Venice. Doing it this way you will enjoy Verona and then love Venice. We stayed at the Tocolo Hotel near the Arena in Verona which was was a little gem (ask for Sylvia)and then stayed at the Savoia & Jolanda in Venice which was also very nice. If you need anymore information you can contact me and I will gladly help you where I can. We also went to Portofino (for the 2nd time) - one of the most beautiful places I have been to as well as Bellagio in Lake Como.

Diane Jul 6th, 2001 09:48 AM

We enjoyed 2 nights in Verona and then 3 nights in Venice. I think there might be a difference depending on what days you visit -- we had a Saturday and Sunday night in Verona and then drove north from Verona to Bolzano and through the Dolomites to Cortina D'Ampezzo before making it to Venice just before sunset. It was a totally amazing trip that I highly recommend, unless you suffer from Scenic-Overload-Syndrome. Of course if you are "training it" you won't have that option. I agree with the others that Venice is a tough act to follow.