How Many Days in Northern Portugal?

Old Jul 13th, 2021, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Many Days in Northern Portugal?

My husband and I are planning to spend two weeks in Portugal in October 2021 (COVID-willing!) divided by a 12 night cruise to and from Lisbon to the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands. I am driving myself crazy trying to craft an itinerary that will give us a good taste of Portugal (minus the Algarve) without too much moving around. We will rent a car for some of the trip.

I am thinking we will spend three nights in Porto and use one day for a day trip to Guimares/Braga.

I am also very tempted to splurge (it's our 30th Anniversary) and spend two or three nights at Six Senses Douro Valley. Am I crazy?? How many nights would you recommend we stay in the Douro Valley given that we will want to try some wine and also like to walk/hike?

Other overnight spots on our trip will probably be Sintra/Cascais, Evora, Coimbra (though I'm not as excited about that for some reason).

We haven't purchased our flights yet so we have the flexibility to fly home from Porto or Lisbon.

Thanks for any help you might like to provide!
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 08:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Coimbra is an intersting and historic town which I’m guessing you will enjoy! We really liked the Minho region of Portugal where Guimares is located.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in Portugal twice. Each time we covered some of the part north of Lisbon.

Here are the trip reports:

Trip Report: Portugal, May-June 2019

Trip Report: Portugal and Galicia, June 2006
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously, things can change between now and October, but here is a report on entering and visiting Portugal in July 2021...

https://thepointsguy.com/news/portug...process-covid/