Search

Hotel Accommodation - Athens, Heraklion and Chania

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2018, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Accommodation - Athens, Heraklion and Chania

Hello,
We have 15 nights in - Crete mainly - but we are fitting in 2 or 3 nights in Athens on our way back to the UK: our dates are the last week of September and first week in October.
I have now been searching for 2 days for a well recommended hotel in Athens probably up to about 150 Euro for a twin room and haven't found anything satisfactory (I realise Athens is expensive accommodation-wise!) - so - I would appreciate any personal recommendations please. The same for Heraklion and Chania: we would prefer a sort of generic hotel and are not really into quirky or character places necessarily but would appreciate any recommendations.
Finally, for Crete, we are probably going to hire a car and wonder if, other than our bookings for the main cities above, could we just play it by ear driving where the fancy takes us and finding a place where we land at the end of the day? We did that in the Peloponnese a couple of years ago and it was great.
Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at Pandora Suites in Chania and really liked it. It was five minutes walk to the long strip of restaurants that line the harbour. The owners were helpful and the room clean with a lovely view over the rooftops to the water. We were there the first week of October and although the weather was still warm and sunny, the season was definitely winding down with restaurants half empty and waiters looking bored. I think as it was fairly quiet you should have little trouble winging it, but I'm no expert.

Kay
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 02:37 AM

I usually stay at Hotel Cypria, which is reasonably priced and just off Ermou Street about a block or two from Syntagma Square. They have several categories of rooms at different prices, and an excellent breakfast.
Hotel Rooms in Athens | Cheap Accommodation in Athens Greece
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 12:16 PM

I always stay at the Attalos Hotel on Athinas St. in Athens. It's clean, safe and centrally located to everything one goes to Greece for. You may find September to offer lower prices. It has one of the best roof-top bars/gardens in all of Athens with spectacular views of the Acropolis and all of Athens.

In Crete I stayed at Studio Jason (Iason) in Chania, just off Theotokopolou St., which is probably the best area to stay in Chania. Just a short walk to the waterfront and in a quiet, but easily accessible area.

Bear in mind, I am a budget traveler who goes to Greece in October when prices are lower, there are less tourists and the weather still nice.

Crete is Greece's largest island and it would take weeks if not months to fully explore and experience. Chania is in the western part of the island and is one of Greece's loveliest towns and waterfronts and a great place to base yourself for exploring the western part of the island.
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kay, I'll have a look at Pandora Suites, also thanks for the advice re winging it!
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi Heimdall, it seems that Hotel Cypria is booked up for my dates, it looks nice!
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks crazyh, I am considering Attalos, a lot of people on here and Thorn Tree seem to recommend it - do you know if they will have aircon (cooling) in early October - I like my aircon as I often find hotel rooms stuffy?
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 04:34 AM

patriciatbrogan: All rooms in the Attalos have individual heating/cooling units so you'll have the option of being toasty warm or pleasantly cool year-round. Most rooms will have windows that open if you want fresh air. October should not see the heat of summer but the room could be a bit stuffy if windows are shut.