How many days in each: Slovenia and Dubrovnik

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to Paris, Slovenia and Croatia next May, and have run into a dilemma with how many days we should stay in Slovenia (as a whole) and Dubrovnik. So far my itinerary is as follows:

3 nights Paris
4 nights Slovenia
4 nights Dubrovnik
3 nights Hvar
flying from Split-London (staying 2 nights) then home after that...

I know that while we're in Dubrovnik we're likely going to want to do daytrips with Atlas to both Montenegro and Mostar (Montenegro because of the scenery and MOstar because of the history), but then that only leaves 1 other day to explore Dubrovnik (do we need more than that?). In Slovenia, I had originally decided on 4 nights (3 full days) because I knew we wanted to see Bled, Piran and Ljubljana and are planning on renting a car, so the idea of having 4 nights/3 days to drive around Slovenia seems very appealing. 3 nights/2 days might not be enough to do all this (in fact, I know it won't so we'd have to leave out Piran in that case).

So, if it was you, would you do 3 nights Slovenia/5 Dubrovnik or 4 in each? Which do you think is more worthy of extra time?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:56 AM
brooklandsbuttercup

Amanda23,
I think what you have is about right. One thing to keep in mind is that driving around Slovenia is going to be tiring, and your accommodations and food are likely to be less good than in Dubrovnik and Paris. So after Slovenia if you can plan to sightsee but also take it easier in Dubrovnik, I think you will appreciate that. And both areas have their beauty, but I think Dubrovnik is more striking - of course, just one perspective. Have fun!

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:10 AM

>>>>>
1 other day to explore Dubrovnik (do we need more than that?)
>>>>

i am usually in favour of spending more time rather than less in a location of choice. dubrovnik is a must see but IMO not worth more than a day sightseeing. why...it is very overcrowded, the restaurants are nothing special (and not as good a value as nearby areas). also, the walls, as lovely and unique as they are, isolate the city (old town) from the sea. there is very little real life in the city...mostly everything is constructed for tourists.

also for those reasons, i would choose another base from which to make day trips. why return to dubrovnik each night to the inferior restaurants, ho-hum nightlife, much higher hotel prices, crowds and lack of sea views?

it goes without saying that dubrovnik is beautiful and must be SEEN. but there is very little to EXPERIENCE there as compared to many other places close by.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM
mjs

Have not been to Slovenia so I cannot comment on that part of your trip. My take on Dubrovnik is exactly the same as Walkinaround. Split is worth a day as well and Trogir is worth a short visit as it is near the Split airport.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 09:17 PM

Amanda:

Your plan looks pretty good, but I would reduce Dubrovnik by one day and try to visit Plitvice, which is a couple of hours north of Split. You can visit on the way from Split to Piran, or from Split to Ljubljana. Plitvice is one of the most beautiful parks in Croatia.

Here's the URL of my web page on our trip to southern Croatia. Maybe it can help in your planning. (BTW, tomorrow we fly to Slovenia and northern Croatia.)

http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/croatia.htm
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:18 PM

I think 4 nights make sense in Slovenia, especially considering all you plan to do. It's a small enough country that driving shouldn't be TOO tiring (despite the fact that no where you are going is really on the way to the other places). I think you at least need one full day in Ljubljana--we wish we had had more days, since we realized there was a LOT we didn't get to see.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
Syl

Amanda,
Just returned last night from 3 weeks in Slovenia & Croatia. We loved Slovenia & 4 nights is fine as long as you spend a full day in Ljubljana(beautiful & cleanest city ever seen),drive around the Julian Alps for 1 day,don't spend too much time in Bled because it's pretty but not amazing as they say,get to the Skocjan Caves & spend a day in pretty Piran.By the way,one of my top places we stayed in was Hotel Piran.As per Croatia, drive to the hill town of Motovun,spend a few days in Rovinj,on to unforgettable Plitvice Lakes(take the H walk),Trogir for a day,Hvar a few days (heaven),drive around to tour the island of Hvar,take catamaran from Jelsa to lovely Zlatni Rat Beach on Bol,finish trip in Dubrovnik where 3 days is plenty (including Montenegro & pretty Cavtat).By the way, Booklandsbuttercup talked about food & accommodation better in Dub.,I found the food awesome in Slovenia because of the influence of the neighboring countries.Accommodation depends upon your wallet wherever you go.