How many days in each city in Croatia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning (early) to go to Croatia next June. I thought I'd fly into Zagreb then go south to Plitvice Nat'l Pk, Trogir/Split, Hvar then Dubrovnik. How many days should I try to spend in each place? My time there could vary as needed, but max would be 2 wks. I'd like to go back to Zagreb to save money on my flight. How far is it between Dubrovnik and Zagreb?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt for mccm
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry...I have no idea what your message means.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:46 PM

ttt means "to the top", I think. It's a way of getting your message to the top of the board, and is generally done in a spirit of helpfulness.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I've used this board for quite a while but never saw that.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:21 PM

It really depends on your interests.

If you like old town and museums, 2 days for Zagreb. For people enjoy walking and nature beauty, 2 days for Plitvice Lakes. For just sightseeing, one day for Trogir;but to relax by seaside and enjoy the little medieval town,staying overnight would be better. To visit Split and surrounding ruins,2 days would be easier.

For Dubrovnik and nearby fishing villages, 2-3 days;one extra day for daytrip to Montenegro.

I am afraid I can't help with Hvar,as I haven't been yet.

it takes about 11 hours from Dubrovnik to Zagreb.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 09:04 PM

It is about 240 miles (or 388 Kilometers) from Zagreb to Dubrovnik.

I was just in Croatia for 2 weeks and it was not nearly enough. I could have happpily stayed for a couple more weeks.

Your plan sounds pretty good but I will offer my humble opinion. I would spend as little time in Zagreb as possible, 1 night in Plitvice National Park, 2 nights in Trogir, 2-3 nights on Hvar and the rest of your time in Dubrovnik. I would fly from Dubrovnik back to Zagreb if you are able. I have posted several trip reports so if you click on my screen name you will find my Croatia posts along with some photos.

Rab Town is amazingly beautiful as well. You will become a fan of Croatia like the rest of us who have been there!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 03:45 AM

I agree with eurotraveller. For Zagreb half a day or maybe one night is enough to get the sense of the city. Plitvice two days (one night), Trogir 2-3 nights. You can visit Split from Trogir by local buses. It takes about 30 minutes to get from Trogir to Split. Hvar 3-4 days, explore the whole island, maybe a day trip to Brac could be fun as well. Dubrovnik 4-5 days including some day trips as Montengro, Cavtat, Mljet or Elafiti (Lopud).

You can fly from Dubrovnik to Zagreb for about $US 80 or less if you book just few days before the flight. Check Croatia Airlines web site:
http://www.croatiaairlines.hr
You can also fly out from Split. In this case the air fare would be about $US 50. By bus it takes about 4,5 hours to reach Split from Dubrovnik (spectacular drive).
I think you can get even cheaper tickets if you don?t book through their web site but directly in their office in Dubrovnik or Split.
Bus or car drive from Dubrovnik to Zagreb is, although beautiful, very exhausting. It takes at least 11 hours. Distance between Dub and Zag is 360 miles or 580 km. From this year brand new motorway will be opened almost all the way from Split to Zagreb and it should be completely finished before the next summer. This should certainly shorten the voyage but still it is a long way to drive in just one day.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful info. Another question: when I land in Zagreb, what is the easiest way to get to the city and find a room, thinking of a private room in a home.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Totally agree with Jonas on his posting...

Just wanted to add that private accomodations are prevalent in the coastal towns, but not so much in Zagreb. So, I would book an actual hotel there, to be on the safe side, especially if coming late and if only for a night.

Private accomodations are plentiful on the coast and you should have no problem finding one, either by going to local tourist office or just chancing upon one that you fancy, as they are pretty well marked at those houses that offer them.

Also do read the posting "Italy, Slovenia and Croatia" for some added info.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 02:51 PM

As sempronia wrote along the coast private accommodation can be easily found everywhere and there is no need for advance booking in July.
Zagreb is more tricky as it lacks of decent budget accommodation. Some are listed here:
http://www.findcroatia.com/ac_priv_cont.htm
But the most of them don?t have the best location so you?ll have to use taxi or public transportation (which is good btw) to reach Zagreb?s downtown. I would also recommend advance booking for Zagreb.
My advice is to contact Zagreb Tourist Board. I?m sure they can arrange something for you or at least give you some good tips:
http://www.zagreb-touristinfo.hr
They have an office on Zagreb's main square Trg Bana Jelacica.

From Zagreb airport there is bus service to Zagreb Bus Station which is located near the downtown. Just a few steps from the bus station there is Dora hotel (http://www.zug.hr/index.php?datoteka=dora), small and modest and not in the prettiest part of the city but hey, for their prices you can?t have everything. My guess is it should be fine for one or two nights. From there you?ll have to take the tram to downtown ? just a 5-6 stops and no more than 10 minutes.
Hotel Ilica is located more conveniently, but it had some bad reports on this forum.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:22 AM

Personally, I thought a our day trip to Montenegro was not worth the time and energy to get there. After having visited several medieval towns in Croatia, Montenegro was less charming and not as clean as others I had seen. I suggest you further investigate a desire to go there.

If you have the time, I suggest spending it in the Lake Bled area in Slovenia instead. I enjoyed Ljubljana much more than Zagreb (as another idea). In addition, the ride to Slovenia was through pastorial countryside.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:49 AM

I flew from Dubrovnik to Zagreb for 40 euro. When you get to Croatia go to a travel agency and shop around for flights. The prices vary greatly during the same day.

I think Montenegro would be very difficult to visit by your own car. Consider the Atlas excursion. It was extremely worthwhile.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:23 AM

I do not think Montenegro is difficult to visit in your own car- you just cross the border.. But, it might be difficult to visit in a rent-a-car. If you rented it in Croatia, lot of times your contract precludes you from entering Montenegro (this might be politically motivated, but also realistically- not good having HR tags in CG and vice-versa).

We got driven to the border by taxi; crossed the border on foot, luggage in tow; and had another taxi waiting on the other side. We booked it in advance, but sometimes there are taxis waiting..

I disagree that Montenegro is not worth a trip..Kotor is just smashing medieval walled town (similar to Dubrovnik); Budva is also a beautiful walled town and has lot more entertainment in way of bars and shops than Dubrovnik; finally the medieval village on Sveti Stefan island, being entirely converted in luxury hotel, so that you stay at the houses and its streets are techically *hallways* is fascinating..Montenegro also has bunch of Byzantine monasteries that are just fascinating, especially Ostrog..

http://www.montenegro.org/mon_ost.html

I am a Yugo by background and have part Croatian, part Montenegrin blood (am also part Greek), and feel this whole discussion of Croatia being worth it but not Montenegro is just nonsense.. It all had contiguous history, lot of Venetian influence and was same country up until 10 years ago..The experience is the same and if you are going to eastern Adriatic once in your life- you should see it all...

PS. Also visit Cavtat, my favorite little town..As a kid I spent most of my summers there..
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:39 AM

And you <b>must</b> go up that switchback mountain for the fabulous views of the Bay of Kotor and the Coastline! (http://p.vtourist.com/969695.jpg) I was just very glad to be in the hands of a capable, experienced bus driver at that point! I also very much enjoyed Centje (sp?), the old capitol and a visit to the home of Nicholas I.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:03 AM

Wow! What a fabulous shot of the Kotor's Boka! Did you take it yourself or is this some local web-site? Do you have any more to share with us? I love it!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:17 AM

Thank you, Sempronia! I took it on my Atlas Excursion. I have a few more posted on www.virtualtourist.com My member name there is Callavetta.

The view from up there is incredible. The hairpins were as formidible as any I've ever been on (and I live on the California Coast and in the Rockies!). We had to stop and wait for cows, goats, sheep, rams.... It is a trip not to be missed.