Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many days for Tallinn? Sigtuna? North of Stockholm??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We definitely want to fly to Tallinn from Stockholm.

How many nights/days for Tallinn? We are somewhat slow paced, we will stay in the city, no car.

Our rental outside Stockholm ends on a Saturday. It looks cheaper to fly on a weekday, so wondering about visiting Sigtuna (or ??) for Sat night-Sun night, and then flying from Stockholm to Tallinn Monday morning.

Too much time for Sigtuna? Not enough?

Also wondering about driving to Uppsala for Saturday night (1 hr 20 min from rental, 9AM check out) then drive down to Sigtuna and stay Sunday night, drive to airport (15-20 min) Monday morning, drop the car and fly to Tallinn.

Is Uppsala easy as far as driving near the old part and staying there?

Any other sights, towns to visit that direction? (probably not much further north than Uppsala)

Just booked the rental in Stockholm (July 2017) so pretty excited!
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 12:23 PM

I think that 2-3 hours in Sigtuna is enough. There isn't that much to see other than the few blocks of older wooden houses, especially of you are coming from Stockholm. But from Sigtuna you can drive to Skokloster Castle, which is quite nice and has a couple of paintings by Giuseppe Arcimboldo if you like art.

I would prefer to stay in Uppsala the whole time, as I have only seen Sigtuna completely deserted after the shops close. I haven't been to Uppsala for a couple of years but at that time we had no problems with the car, we parked very close to the big Cathedral.

Hope you have a nice stay in Sweden!
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

ticino, thanks so much! Skokloster Castle is now on my list.

Uppsala 1 night or 2 nights?
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 05:19 AM

Tallinn's old town is lovely and charming but small (and very touristy - lots of cruise ship tourists visit Tallinn). I recently spent three nights there, between Riga and St. Petersburg. That's probably more than most people need, but if you are "slow paced" that might be about the right amount of time. I took a day trip to the coastal town of Haapsalu (about 1.75 hrs each way by bus) - really nice, relaxing town. Some people would visit the beach town of Parnu or Estonia's "second city" of Tartu. I considered visiting both but did not.
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 06:32 AM

We spent 4 wonderful days in Tallinn in 2012. Click on my name to see our trip report. Even though it is small, we found lots of things to see during that period.
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 07:19 AM

I just answered a few weeks ago and gave a brief outline how to walk about Tallin.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...in-tallinn.cfm
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 04:20 PM

Just came back from Tallinn a week ago. I loved the Old Town but felt one day was really sufficient but would not need more than 2 unless you spend a lot of time in cages and take long lunches.
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 04:48 PM

Depending on your arrival and departure times, "one day" might mean two nights. In my case, I arrived fairly late the first day and left fairly early the fourth day, so I really had two full days in Tallinn - and one of them was mostly consumed by a day trip. I guess if you arrive early the first day or leave late the last day, one night might work to give you a full day in Tallinn.
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 04:07 AM

Well it gave me a good laugh when I re-read my statement hoping you spend time in Tallinn in cages! No cages or dungeons in Tallinn but lots of cafes!

I don't recall who said "What a difference a day makes" but certainly what a difference a letter makes!