Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How many days for Istanbul? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-many-days-for-istanbul-684146/)

richardab Mar 1st, 2007 04:23 PM

How many days for Istanbul?

How many days would it take to really have a good time and get to know the city, see sights, shop, etc?

sandra3120 Mar 1st, 2007 04:32 PM

Istanbul is a marvelous, complicated place. To even begin to do it justice, just by seeing the Blue Mosque, Yerebatan Saray, Topkai and Hagia Sofia (all in the same area), that's one day if you race through, which you shouldn't; Beylerbey and Dolmabace each take half a day; the markets are one full day, and you've not even gotten to Taksim Sq. You really should spend a good five days there. It's an absolutely fascinating place.

marginal_margiela Mar 1st, 2007 04:36 PM

Well, I just took a Darvon and am drinking a bottle of Pinot Grigio, but I will try to be cogent.

You need half a day to see the Topkapi Palace and the Harem. Not seeing the Harem is like going to Paris and not buying Louis Vuitton sandals. A major mistake. MAJOR!

You need at least two hours for the Hagia Sophia, and an hour for the Blue Mosque. With time out for coffee, lunch, and dinner, that takes care of DAY 1.

On DAY 2, you could spend two-three hours at the Grand Bazaar and one hour at the Spice Bazaar. This takes care of your morning. In the afternoon, you need to get yourself to the Chora Museum.

DAY 3 can be spent in Beyoglu/Taksim on Istaklal Caddesi, then on to the Dolmabahce Palace. (Actually, if you are going during the summer months, you need to get to the Dolmabahce Palace as soon as it opens. By noon, the lines will be one mile long. Im not sh*ttin' you, guv.)

DAY 4, take a boat trip up the Bosphorus or go to Buyukada for a horsey ride and on to see the monastary.

You should spend you evenings in Ortakoy, which is where the beautiful people dine and party. Have dinner at Divan.

Have you read my trip report on Istanbul?

elina Mar 2nd, 2007 02:27 AM

We spent a whole week there, and still didnīt have time for Bosphorus or Prince Island and some other places and sights. We will wait a couple of years and go back.

skye5 Mar 2nd, 2007 06:15 AM

Istanbul is magical. Depending on your travel plans, a minimum of three days is absolutely necessary. If time is of the essence, you might consider hiring a tour guide to expedite your time in the city.

richardab Mar 2nd, 2007 11:11 AM

Thats good info, I am thinking 5 days?

hopscotch Mar 2nd, 2007 11:51 AM

We did 4 days. It wasn't enough. From what I've read on Fodor's we missed 70% of Istanbul.

richardab Mar 12th, 2007 06:24 PM

I booked the trip today, I am combining Istanbul with a few days in Munich. I fear I should add a day to Istanbul, remove one from Munich. This was booked using my FF miles so changing flight from Thurs to Wednesday are subject to availibility. This is what i did...

Saturday - Newark/Munich (via Chicago)
Sunday - Arrive Munich (at 5.55am!) balance of day recovering and sightseeing.
Monday - Munich
Tuesday - Munich
Wednesday - Munich
Thursday - Morning flight to Istanbul arriving around 12.30pm
Friday - Istanbul
Saturday - Instanbul
Sunday - Istanbul
Monday - Instanbul
Tuesday - Fly home, Istanbul/Newark (via Munich)

Any ideas? Hotels?

richardab Mar 13th, 2007 05:40 AM

ttt