Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how many days for istambul (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-many-days-for-istambul-403750/)

nermeen Feb 25th, 2004 09:39 PM

how many days for istambul

hi!
my husband and i have been wanting to go to istambul for a long time. we are finally going this may and have set aside 5 days. however, from all that i hear it seems 2 days are all that are needed to see old istambul, which is what we are primarily interested in. should we include another city or excursion or do u think we will have enough to see in those five days. any advice on hotels close to the old part will also be appreciated.
thanks!

purplefish Feb 25th, 2004 10:01 PM

I think two days is too rushed to see Istanbul. I personally prefer to go at a leisurely pace when viewing sites. Topkapi palace alone is huge and would be best seen at a leisurely place. And so many interesting artifacts to veiw carefully. 3night/4 days would be best.

Kavey Feb 26th, 2004 12:19 AM

With Topkapi Palace, the mosques, the main baazar as well as the spice market and lots more besides I'd say 3 days would be better than 2, if you can swing it.

Marko Feb 26th, 2004 02:46 AM

We have a total of 4 days planned.

baldrick Feb 26th, 2004 03:26 AM

Sultanahmet Mosq (Blue Mosq) and Aya Sophia with immediate surroundings take 1 day.
Topkapi, well visited, will take the larger part of the day.
Grand Bazar/Suleymaniye mosk/Yeni Cami area with Spices bazar can take a day.
A day on the Bosphorus up north.
Depends a lot on your interests.
Evening walks from Tünel/Beyoglu to Taksim alongside Istiklal Caddesi, visit Cicek Pasaji.
Four entire days is not too much in my opinion

CharlieB Feb 26th, 2004 03:54 AM

Baldrick has it right! We spent 3 full days is Istanbul last fall and it was not enough. Allow 1 full day for Topkapi, 1 full day for Hippodrome area(including Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia and Cisterns), 1 full day at the Bazaar, Spice Market, and Suleymaniye complex, and 1 full day for the Bosporus and Dolmabache Palace. We stayed at the Seven Hills Hotel (right across the street from the Four Seasons in Sultanahmet) A delightful boutique hotel with a roof top terrace with a fantastic view. We enjoyed watching the "Sound & Light" presentation at the Blue Mosque from this vantage point. Even if you don't stay at this hotel - make it a point to have a Night-Cap on the roof top. You will have a wonderful time! It is truely a magical city!

nincedogan Feb 26th, 2004 04:09 AM

hi
Istanbul is such a big city and there are a lot to see.

Keep in your mind
some of the museums atre closed mondays or Tuesdays.

The sites I can recommend
Topkapý palace include the treasury
Blue Mosque
Saint Sophia
Underground cistern
Kariye Church(St Chora )excellent with its mosaics
Dolmabahce Palace along Bosphorus.

Asiatic site
Bosphorus cruise

Besides this I can recommend the cdity of Bursa for a day or two.
Also Ephesus is quite important either you need ten hour bus trip or fliþght 40 min.
If you arte flying by Turtkish airlines there is apossibility to fly free between Istanbul and Izmýr.
if you send me dates and the fligghgt information I may be able to help you more.

Nejat incedogasn
Guide

sandi Feb 26th, 2004 05:02 AM

There's so much to see/visit and 5-days will allow you to do those listed in the above posts at a leisurely pace. But if you get these done in 4-days, you can always arrange a 1-day trip to Bursa.

elina Feb 26th, 2004 05:08 AM

I was a whole week in Istanbul. That gave me enough time to see the "musts" but nothing else.

lacontessa Feb 26th, 2004 03:16 PM

No has mentioned other things there are to do while in Istanbul--see Whirling Dirvishes on Sunday afternoon, take a cooking class, visit a haman, go birdwatching, etc.--these are on our list of things to do during our 5 days in Istanbul.

nermeen Feb 27th, 2004 12:50 AM

hi,
thanks for all the advice. it seems we really should stay the full 5 days to see most of the sights and attractions....how do i find out about the whirling dervish show? i appreciate the accomodation advice. it seems there are lots of options in the sultanahmet area but its always good to get someone's personal experience.
similarly, are there any restaurants that we should'nt miss?
thanks for all ur help...u guys are great!

elina Feb 27th, 2004 01:35 AM

The dervishes are in Mevlevi monastery near Galata Tower, and at least in December they started 3 pm. Sunday. I think that it is open to public first Sunday of every month. But please, don't call it a show and don't applaud. It is a religious procedure, and you don't applaud to a priest either.

sinan Feb 27th, 2004 03:28 AM

Hi Nermeen

If you want to get more information about GALATA MEVLEVIHANESI go to:

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/grupc/cj/cja/cjab/Galata.htm

address and phone number:

Divan Edebiyatý Müzesi (Galata Mevlevihanesi) (0212) 245 41 41 Galip
Dede Caddesi 15, Tünel-Beyoðlu.

I am sure that you will love it

Sinan Akdeniz

crazyone Feb 27th, 2004 03:05 PM

Just returned from Istanbul--5 days definitely needed to see everything at a leisurely pace. All places mentioned are definite must sees! Also, with free time squeeze in Archealogical museum, Museum of Turkish/Islamic Arts (both in Sultanahmet). As for restaurants, Sultanahmet Koeftecisi (the original!) for lunch, Daruzziyafe (Bazaar Quarter)(!!!)and Konyali in Topkapi Palace (for lunch) were our favorites (not expensive). Another one of our favorites was buying lunch on the street and wandering in Yildiz Park (near Dolmabahce Palace). Get used to saying "no thank you"-many people looking to sell their goods or services all over the City. One of the most amazing things is the call to prayer 5x a day. Books say females need to cover their head in mosques; my wife did, but she was the exception. DK eyewitness travel guide the best (bought Fodors-not as useful or informative (Sorry Fodors!). Also, a Turkish Bath a definite experience! Recommend Cagaloglu Baths-both for atmosphere and very tourist friendly. Your husband will love the shave (I took a razor and shaving creme but never used them after a first day shave there!) Enjoy-you will love the city. It was amazing!