Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How many days do we need to see Berner Oberland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-many-days-do-we-need-to-see-berner-oberland-329879/)

Hagan Jun 22nd, 2003 08:50 AM

How many days do we need to see Berner Oberland?

We are combining a Paris-Switzerland trip in September. We will be in Europe for 10 days (plus 2 travel days). We're thinking of staying the first 5 or 6 nights in Paris, then train to Bern for transfer to Murren/Wengen area for a base. Question is, would 3 nights there be enough to see that area? A Swiss Rail Pass for 4 days 2nd class would be $315 for 2. A Flexi-Pass for 5 days would be $419. We plan to train back to Paris near airport (CDG) for last night before flight home next morning. I guess I'm wondering if we should try to see more of Switzerland, or take the extra day or 2 in Paris. Advice anyone? Joyce

jmw Jun 22nd, 2003 09:16 AM

Hi, May I suggest 5 nights Paris, 2 nights lavaux region of Swiss Lac Leman, 2 nights Berner Oberland village, 1 night back in Paris before return flight? The vineyard villages are a treat. Too bad you can't land in Paris and leave from Zurich. J.

bob_brown Jun 22nd, 2003 09:33 AM

Hmm. I spend a week at a time in the Berner Oberland and keep going back.
But I think how long you plan to visit depends on whether you are a sitter or a walker.

I take to the trails, and spend all day on the high slopes just gazing at the beauty before me.

Three times I have visited Paris first and then gone to Lauterbrunnen. Each visit I spend less time in Paris and more in Switzerland. I suppose it depends on which you prefer: cities or mountains. For me, the city repels after a few days while the mountains attract. Therefore, my choice is easy.
I prefer Switzerland to the extent that I keep going back for a week at a time, plus ancilliary days elsewhere in area.

Why would you buy the flexi pass when the regular pass for 8 days is cheaper?
You are not going to be there more than 8 days are you?

bob_brown Jun 22nd, 2003 09:40 AM

PS Have you priced the separate trips, at least in part, to see if a pass would actually save you money? You can ride a lot of trains for $315.
Basel to Brig, which is on the long diagonal is less than $55.00, 2nd class.
Basel - St. Moritz one way is less than $66, at Fridays closing rate of exchange.

MGB Jun 22nd, 2003 09:45 AM

Depending on weather, you might want to have 3 nights in Murren/Wengen area. We only did 2 nights in Murren on our first trip. We got there late afternoon, weather was beautiful, saw the immediate area. Planned next morning to go up early to the Schlithorn for breakfast then over to the other side. Well Mountains were all fogged in most of our full day. Sun came out late afternoon. We ended up delaying our departure the 2nd day and left about 2pm to at least get more sight seeing in since it was a beautiful day. So you may want to give yourself some leaway so that you can make the most of your time there.

Hagan Jun 22nd, 2003 05:04 PM

Hooray, our itinerary is set! We found a good deal through Auto.Europe around midnight Friday for R/T Orlando-Paris for $522+ taxes on AA through Miami. The lowest fare I'd found prior was hundreds of dollars more, so we grabbed it. We'll be flying to Paris Sept. 4, plan to stay 4 nights there. Have requested a reservation at Hotel Michelet Odeon. Plan to train to Bern on the 9th, then on to Lauterbrunnen for 5 nights. Yes, Bob, we're listening to you and agree that it would make a great base for seeing the area. Have requested a reservation at the Hotel Silberhorn. Then will train back to Paris on the 14th, will probably stay near CDG for AM flight next day. So, I guess now the question is, we'll need train travel in Switzerland for 6 days. Would the Swiss Pass for 8 days be the way to go? Will need travel from Bern to Lausanne and back, plus rail to small towns and cities in the Oberland area. Maybe a regional pass would work. I must confess, this Swiss train travel economy is confusing to me, but I'm sure I'll sort it out eventually! Anywhere, we're sort of on our way and are very excited!!!!!

jmw Jun 23rd, 2003 05:34 AM

Hi you all. Well again, Bob, I find myself thinking 'What's so special about Lauterbrunnen? Maybe I should take another look." As you know, I'm a lakeside/mountain view sort of person.

The last time I went up above Brienzersee, it was to Grindelwald, and I was fairly disappointed. But you've got me thinking I'll give the hills another chance. I would like to do some walks, but I'm not a hiker. Lauterbrunnen is smaller than Grindelwald and less trampled, yes? (she writes hopefully) I checked the sbb site, and I do like the fact that there's only one train change from L' to, let's say, Berne or Lucerne. And I have found some pretty mountain scenery via an image search. Perhaps you can direct me to your favorite net images of the village itself. I tried to get to their tourism site, but my computer doesn't have the bells and whistles necessary (and no time to download). Perhaps you have your own pictures online somewhere? J.