Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How many days: 1st trip to Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-many-days-1st-trip-to-venice-443727/)

Carmen Jun 19th, 2004 12:37 PM

How many days: 1st trip to Venice?

We are thinking of spending 4 nights and 3 full days in Venice at the end of a 3.5 week Italy trip in June 2005. Is this long enough to get at least a flavor of the city? Staying longer would mean skipping a day somewhere else, probably Lucca.

wondering Jun 19th, 2004 12:55 PM

sure, that will be fine...you will find that the pace in venice is slower than some of the large cities. it is a great place to walk and get lost! there are a lot of really informed people on this forum who can tell you what to do and what to skip. lucca is a very nice little city too. you could do both i think. we did!

ira Jun 19th, 2004 01:33 PM

Hi carmen.

Just barely long enough.

Carmen Jun 19th, 2004 01:42 PM

Thanks for the input. Maybe we'll add a day :)

RufusTFirefly Jun 19th, 2004 04:32 PM

We spent 4-1/2 days on our first trip to Venice--we didn't have time to get to any of the lagoon islands or to the Accademia, the Guggenheim, and a number of other museums.

dickv2 Jun 19th, 2004 06:28 PM

Good evening, Carmen 3-4 days for the first time to Venice is just perfect to set the hook for your future
return, after that time you will start to plan your next trip or not. With 3.5 days in IT 4 in Venice is just about right...Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

dianeaz_09 Jun 20th, 2004 08:34 AM

We did all Southern Italy in middle of June 3 yrs ago. It was miserably hot and humid (especially Venice w/all that water). Had to stop and rest a lot and we're from Arizona! It was trip of a lifetime but never again in June, July, Aug. I don't know where you're from but the Florida people had no problems b/c they are used to high humidity and constant sweat. Had to carry water & rag to wipe face, etc. The temp was around 85+ but very very humid, we were miserable, but still wouldn't trade it for anything! Going to Sorrento Mar. 05 & Italian Riviera.

eurotraveller Jun 20th, 2004 08:42 AM

I also agree that 3 days is plenty of time. You would only need more if you wanted to explore the other islands.

Carmen Jun 20th, 2004 08:54 AM

Thanks for all the helpful responses! I am a little concerned about the heat in June, but we are traveling with kids, so school schedule figures in. We're taking them out a week early as it is, and are starting in Rome. My thought was we would move south to north to try to beat the heat as much as possible. We live in Oregon, which is usually pretty mild. 88 today, but not too humid. I grew up in Texas/Arkansas, though, so know why heat and humidity is a combo to be avoided if at all possible.

michigandra Jun 20th, 2004 09:02 AM

We just got back to the US Friday from Venice, and I wish we had had 4 nights, like you are planning. We had 2 days, just enough to get a taste of Venice, but we do wish we could have stayed longer. Four days should be good for you. As far as the heat goes, we had no problems with heat at all in mid-June, but, of course, every year could be different.

Your plan to start out south, in Rome, and move north is a good one--that's what we did, and Rome was quite hot, but things were cooler as we moved up to Venice. Plus, it may have felt cooler since it's on (in?) the water. Another plus to putting Venice at the end is that you experience the busier pace of Rome at the beginning of the trip, when you're fresh and hyped-up for your trip, and experience the slower pace of Venice at the end of your trip, when you're winding things down.

Enjoy!

PamSF Jun 21st, 2004 11:38 PM

we ended our 3 week trip to Italy with one week in Venice. It was barely long enough. We flew open jaw so left for SF from Venice. I have never felt so relaxed on "re-entry" as I did after 7 days in Venice.

mamc Jun 22nd, 2004 04:38 AM

If I were going on a 3.5 week trip to Italy, I would devote at least 5 days to Venice - well worth skipping a day in Lucca. We have visited all of the major cities and most areas of Italy and Venice is the one that remains my favorite - it is unique.

Carmen Jun 22nd, 2004 07:39 AM

We're now up to 5 nights/4 full days! Thanks so much for all the affirming info.