Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many daylight hours in Paris & Amsterdam in early February?

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Joe

My wife and I were wondering how to tentatively plan ahead for our days when we realized that our daylight might be cut short due to the latitude and season. What are the usual daylight hours in these areas in the beginning of February? Are there certain monuments to see during day vs. night?

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:06 PM
internet

Hi Joecool,
I ran a search for daylight hours on Feb 1, 2003. Here's the news. Amsterdam, sunrise 8:23 AM, sunset 5:27 PM. Paris, sunrise 8:21 AM, sunset 5:28 PM.
Just a guess here, but I think most monuments/museums will be closed at night in February, and you will have to go see their interiors during the daytime. There won't be lots of outdoor activities, other than driving around and seeing things lit up at night. Nights will be for dining out and entertainment, I'd think.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:07 PM
internet

Oops. That would be Paris sunset at 5:48. A little more daylight than Amsterdam.

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Joe

Thanks internet traveler! I didn't realize that the sun rises so late over there. It's light at 6:00 a.m. where I am so that is good news as I am a late sleeper!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:30 AM
elaine

The Paris museums the Louvre and the Orsay have evenings when they are open late. At the Louvre not all galleries are open all the time,but the excellent Louvre website can give you a schedule.
www.louvre.fr

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 12:42 PM

ttt