Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long to transit Madrid airport? (Before flight to Granada)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2019, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My daughter and I will arrive in Madrid at 7:40 a.m. on a Sunday morning in late June, on a flight from the U.S. We are going directly to Granada. Is there any chance we could disembark, get our luggage, get through immigration and customs, and make a 9:00 a.m. flight to Granada? (That's sounding crazy even as I type it. )

I'm hoping to avoid the need to get to a Madrid bus station for a lengthy road trip. Also, the 9:00 flight is cheap (so I can afford to lose the fare if we lose our gamble), but the next flight is at 3:00 and is four times the price. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Highly unlikely...even if it is the same terminal..but, good luck
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 08:35 AM
J62

There are a few key questions you haven't given us enough info about to give you an informed answer.

1. what airline is your flight from US? I'm guessing United from Washington DC.
2. what airline is your flight to Granada.
3. Are they partner airlines (eg same alliance - oneworld, skyteam, star), that would let you check in and check your bags all the way through to Granada.
4. If not same alliance, do the 2 airlines have an interline baggage agreement (that will let you check you bags all the way through from home to Granada)
5. Can you check-in to Granada flight ahead of time online?
6. Assuming you cannot interline your bags and you need to get them at Madrid then recheck them, what is the baggage cut off time for the Granada airline.

If you can get boarding passes and have your bags checked all the way to Granada then I would be comfortable myself with an 1hr 20min layover. If you need to collect and recheck you bags (which means leaving the secure area), then no way-no how would I make that kind of plan.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 01:04 PM

Connection in Madrid

Unless you're flying on one connecting ticket, the answer is no. Even if you're one of the first off the international flight, you can't clear passport control and customs, exit through the door at arrivals and then get upstairs to check in for your fiight to Granada, that's after finding the correct checkin counter.

Depending on the airline your flying, the flight could be leaving from T4 or T2. Also, they close the gates 20 minutes before departure.

They started selling tickets for the Madrid-Granada train this morning. Check it out.