Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long to stay in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-to-stay-in-paris-578064/)

Karineh Dec 27th, 2005 10:40 AM

How long to stay in Paris?

Hello,
I'm planning a trip to Paris and was wondering how many days it would take to see all of Paris (I know I can't see ALL, but a majority). I was thinking of 5-9 days, but not sure. Any advise would help! Thanks in advance!

JoeTro Dec 27th, 2005 10:50 AM

I recommend as long as possible. I've been twice and still haven't seen nearly what I want to, plus there is access to so many great day trips like Giverney, Versailles, etc.

mamc Dec 27th, 2005 11:09 AM

Plan for a week to 10 days. That will allow you to see most of the major sights and to take one or two day trips. If you are going between April and October, Giverny is lovely. Other good and easy day trips are Versailles and Chartres. After 8 trips to Paris, we still find many things that we have not seen and many things that we want to see over and over. Paris is a wonderful destination and the best thing to do is to just walk around and absorb the atmosphere - the longer you stay, the more you absorb!

Dave_in_Paris Dec 27th, 2005 02:33 PM

A lifetime is a bit too short, but nine days isn't a bad compromise. Set a leisurely pace and enjoy.

wliwl Dec 27th, 2005 02:52 PM

Well, you can "see" a lot of stuff in 3 or 4 days, but you will really "feel" Paris if you can stay 7 or more days.

nytraveler Dec 27th, 2005 03:53 PM

Have been to Paris at least 14 times - some on business - and there's always something great new to explore. Realistically for a firtst trip you can see quite a bit in 5 days - up it to 7 or 8 if you want to do any days trips - such as Versailles.

sandi_travelnut Dec 27th, 2005 03:53 PM

no less than 5 days..once you've been there then the answer is "a lifetime".

Scottstig Dec 27th, 2005 06:14 PM

I would recommend what fits your budget and how much time you can take away from reality! My wife and I went to Paris our first time in 2001. We have traveled many places around the world. We felt Paris was to much of a traveled city. i.e. Where most first timers go Paris and London. "What a big mistake" We waited all those years!! We have now fit Paris into our yearly travel plans and we have gone every year since. So back to your question. We spend 10 -12 days each visit. We have also tried different arr. 1,5,6, and this trip 7th arr. We have just touched the surface. Enjoy Paris It's our place to relax and take it all in. Great sites, history, food, wine and people.

twk Dec 27th, 2005 07:14 PM

If I had two weeks to work with, I'd want to see a little bit more of France than just Paris, but that's just my personal preference, and no slight on Paris. I could find plenty to do, at a relax paced, if somebody made the choice for me and told me that it was going to be Paris (and daytrips) only for the full two weeks. If you're interested in renting an apartment (not for everyone, but a great experience under the right circumstances), the longer the stay the better.

Janeyre Dec 27th, 2005 07:22 PM

Stay for the full 9 days if you can. Break up your stay between two different hotels in two different areas such as the Marais, Eiffel Tower area, or St. Germaine and plan your site seeing accordingly. This strategy of an extended stay in one big city and experiencing two different neighborhoods by day/night has always been interesting for us! Have a wonderful time!

jules4je7 Dec 27th, 2005 07:55 PM

I've been to Paris twice now -- once for three days, which also included a bout of bronchitis (so I didn't see much, but I did meet a nice doctor and get an introduction to truly Socialized Medicine).

Our first trip to Europe in 2003 was a 23-day jaunt across Europe that started in London and ended in Istanbul. After this long crazy journey, there were few cities that we thought merited a "go back and put your suitcase down and enjoy it" -- and Paris was the final choice.

We just went back in September this year and had a fabulous time. We had 8 days and saw a lot -- but we could have easily spent a couple more to really see the list of things we wanted to.

To sum up: 5 is doable if you make sure you go back, but I'd say 7 minimum...9 is the dream. Not counting the "lifetime" wish.

Happy travels,

Jules

Karineh Dec 29th, 2005 11:08 AM

Thanks so much everyone!! This helps a great deal.

sanfran27 Dec 29th, 2005 11:13 AM

we have gone to Paris twice,once backpacking in our youth and once with our teenage sons. I agree with those suggesting at least a week...you will not begin to see everything but you will get a flavor of a truly great city.

Flaze Dec 30th, 2005 05:31 AM

We just returned from our 2nd trip to Paris this fall/winter. If you have at least 5 or 6 days, you can spend a day just walking around and enjoying the rythm of the city. You don't have to run from one tourist spot to another to really appreciate what Paris is all about. We enjoy most strolling the streets in the Marais, St. Germaine, the 17th, or wherever our feet (and metro) takes us. Plan to see the surrounding area of a museum as well as the great art, get off the beatan path to find a wonderful cafe full of French people- not American tourists. Find a favorite bakery or cafe and have coffee and croissant in the morning and marvel at the street scenes of people going to work. Relax and you will enjoy it all the more.

SAnParis Dec 30th, 2005 05:35 AM

I've been there several times & still find something new everytime. Stay as long as you can...