How long to spend in Rothenburg, ob der Tauber

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to drive to Rothenburg from Munich, (taking the Autobahn), then the romantic road from Rothenburg to Fussen area. I will be doing this in July. How many nights should I plan to spend in Rothenburg, in order to see the town and surrounding area? What is in easy driving distance from Rothenburg? I definitely want to go to Nuremberg. Is Heidelberg worth a visit? Any other good, easy trips from Rothenburg? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM

I'd make Rothenburg the day trip, staying in Wuerzburg, Bamberg, Nuernberg, or Dinkelsbuhl. Or even a smaller place like Weikersheim or Colmberg (nice castle hotel in Colmberg).

Maybe one night in Rothenburg if you're into things like the night watchman's tour.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM

I think it is worth spending the night just for the night watchman's tour.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Rufus,

Thanks for the input. Whether I spend the nights in Wuerzberg, Bamberg, Nuernberg or Dinkelsbuhl, how many nights would you allocate for that area? Since Rothenburg will be so crowded in July, I plan to see it in morning or evening, and want to do the night watchman's tour. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Bamberg and Nuernberg are really quite a distance from Rothenburg, Wuerzburg is OK.

In the past, I have stayed in Bad Windsbach (check website), a pleasant small spa about 25km northeast of R., and in Ansbach, about 40km southeast of R. In Ansbach I have stayed at the Hotel Am Drechselgarten, a pleasant reasonably priced hotel, and driven for the afternoon/evening to R.

1 full day in R. is plenty of time.

Heidelberg is out of yoyr way, if you are planning to go from Rothneburg to Fuessen.

Parking within the walls in R.is sort of a pain; there are plenty of parking spaces outside of the walls.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM

I guess the concept of "quite a distance" is relative. It's about a
1-1/2 hour drive from Bamberg to Rothenburg. Not far to us, but it could be to someone else.

As to how long in the area--it does depend on which town you choose to stay in and what your interests are. Many of the smaller towns don't take more than 1/2 day, and you can get many of the highlights of the bigger towns and cities in a day or two.

How long is your total trip, and where else are you going besides what you listed in your original post?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Oh, should you find yourself driving between Bamberg and Rothenburg and you get hungry, the town of Ipsheim has a nice place to eat--Gasthof Schwartzer Adler.

http://www.gasthofschwarzeradler.de/
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:06 PM

We stayed in the off the beaten path town of Iphofen and used it as our base. We took a day trip from there down the Romantic Road towns to Rothenburg. On the way we stopped aat some small towns that we actually preferred to Rothenburg. Unless you especially want to, I wouldn't see the need to stay the night.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM

My opinion is if you get to Rothenburg early in the morning you only need 1 night but if you visit other towns on you way to Rothenburg and arrive late afternoon you would most likely want 2 nights.