Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long to drive from Salzburg to Munich?

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Art

About how long will it take me to drive from Salzburg to Munich on a weekday morning?
Thanks
Art

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Stuttgarter

I'm estimating about 3 hrs. depending on how fast you drive. The traffic conditions are unpredictable, you could hit a traffic jam, called a stau, at any time and they seem to have a lot here. So, give yourself plenty of time.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:17 AM
wes fowler

Art
It's about 150kms from Salzburg to Munich, about 90 miles and almost all on autobahn. You should be able to do the trip in closer to 2 hours than three unless you encounter a massive tieup such as you might find on I5 or 101.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:33 AM
richardab

I just did this trip last Friday, but I went by train. It cost about $40 r/t and took about 2 hours. I will say that after being in Munich, Salzburg was a bit disappointing. The people weren't as friendly as in Munich and the city wasn't very big. It was a nice trip but I feel that I spent too much time traveling when I could have been enjoying sights in Munich. As you can see, I loved Munich.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Paulo

As posted in the other thread, Art, I drove the route some 9 times, 6 of which in the morning. Though most of the times I drove from Munich to Salzburg (and in summer), stalls were quite frequent on A8 (I was caught 3 times between 1995 and 1997). Everything would be fine if cars would all run at a standard speed of around 110km/h (if I'm not wrong, this, or something like it, is sign indicated as "recommended"). Apparently stalls are related with the speed differences between cars running at certain traffic volumes.

Without any traffic problems, the trip should take 1:30-1:40 hours. When I drive the route in either direction, I use to allow for a delay up to one hour (and keep the radio dial on the traffic service to jump out from A8, taking side roads, at the first sign of trouble).

Paulo

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Art

Paulo, I thought that I had posted this question before, but a search would not bring it up for some reason. I apologize for the duplication.
Boy things have changed. I couldn't remember the distance but thot that I had done it in 1 hour. Of course this was 30 years ago when you could maintain 160 - 180 k/h in most areas (which of course I always did).
Thanks for your responses.
Art

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Art

Paulo, I thought that I had posted this question before, but a search would not bring it up for some reason. I apologize for the duplication.
Boy things have changed. I couldn't remember the distance but thot that I had done it in 1 hour. Of course this was 30 years ago when you could maintain 160 - 180 k/h in most areas (which of course I always did).
Thanks for your responses.
Art