Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long on Amalfi coast? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-on-amalfi-coast-362758/)

carolenap Oct 2nd, 2003 08:39 AM

How long on Amalfi coast?

Hi, We are just starting to plan a trip for next year to Italy. Would like to spend a week in Rome and then travel by train down to Amalfi coast. Would a week be too long in that area? A day or overnight on Capri? Do I want to stay in Positano or Sorrento? Also considering staying in that area a few days and then going onto Sicily for a few days. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

daria Oct 2nd, 2003 10:49 AM

Hi carolenap,

I did essentially that same trip last year and it was fabulous (8 nights in Rome 9 nights on the Amalfi Coast)! I definitely don't think a week on the Amalfi Coast is too long.

We stayed 1 night in Sorrento, 4 in Positano and 4 in Ravello. I found Positano to be much more picturesque than Sorrento and I was glad we stayed in Positano longer. We decided to stay 1 night in Sorrento because we wanted to go to Pompeii and thought it would be a better day trip from Sorrento than from Positano, and it was. However, we did spend one day walking around Sorrento, had dinner there and spent that one night and I thought that was perfect. Also, Positano is nicely situated to explore the rest of the Amalfi Coast whereas Sorrento really isn't on the Amalfi Coast. It is closer to Naples. You should do a search on this board for "Positano" and "Sorrento" and you will find a lot of posts debating the two.

You will see a lot of posts on this board saying that Capri is too touristy, but I think it depends on when you go. We were there in May and found it to be less touristy than expected and it is absolutely beautiful. We found it impossible to see everything we wanted to see on the island in the day trip we did. I was disappointed that we did not stay any nights there because it is just so beautiful, and there is too much to do in one day.

Ravello is great too, but it is very quiet. If I had the trip to do over, I would probably do Ravello as a day trip from Positano and stay a few nights in Capri instead. Do not miss the Villa Cimbrone in Ravello. It is fabulous!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me directly as I planned your exact same trip last year: [email protected].

Cheers!

Daria

buongiorno Oct 2nd, 2003 11:27 AM

I'm not sure where Daria learned geography but the last time I was in Sorrento, it was on the Italian peninsula known as the Amalfi Coast and, it's nowhere close to Naples. In fact, Sorrento is farther west than Positano and hence it is closer to Capri. Nonetheless, Sorrento IMHO is a much more happening place than Positano. Sorrento is substantially larger and has a lot more going on than Positano. You can take the jet boat easily from Sorrento to Capri and you can more easily navigate around the coast and to other places from Sorrento rather than some of the other towns.

daria Oct 2nd, 2003 03:15 PM

Actually, Sorrento is located on the Sorrentine peninsula on the Bay of Naples closer to Naples than the Amalfi Coast. Technically, the Amalfi Coast includes the towns on the other side of that peninsula, not anything on the side where Sorrento is located. Many people confuse Sorrento as being on the Amalfi Coast because it is discussed in connection with traveling to that area.

Myer Oct 2nd, 2003 05:08 PM

OK guys stop fighting.

Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast. The Amalfi coast is on the south side of the peninsula and Sorrento is on the north-west part.

Sorrento and Positano are probably equadistant to Naples. However, it's much more convenient to get to Sorrento from Naples. You can either take the classy (ha) circumsuviena (sp) or a hydrophoil from Naples. We've been twice and both times took the commuter train.

I prefer Sorrento as it's a real town with many stores (famous for music boxes) and restaurants.

Positano is beautiful but there is no town to speak of. It's all on the side of a hill and no town center.

From Sorrento it's easier to get to Pompeii and Capri (Capri is beautiful and definitely worth a complete day. Don't waste your time with the rippoff Blue Grotto) and then back to Naples and Rome.

I hate to stay somewhere less than 2 nights. Next trip I would be tempted to keep my hotel in Sorrento and take an overnight trip to Positano. That way I'd spend an evening there.

I bused up to Ravello from Amalfi and spent a few hours walking around and to the villa. I then walked all the way down to Amalfi (1 1/2 hours). While the view is spectacular, it's a small town with very little going on.

I'd stay in Sorrento.

Weadles Oct 2nd, 2003 05:30 PM

A week is definitely not too long on the Amalfi Coast. As to whether to base in Positano or Sorrento, I'd probably suggest splitting your time between the two, although IMO, Positano is a much more spectacular and less Americanized destination.

From Sorrento, it's easier to get to Capri (either by hydrofoil or regular ferry) and Pompeii. Also Sorrento offers a wider range of hotels, restaurants, and nightlife. From Positano, it's obviously easier to visit Amalfi, Ravello, and the wonderful mountain village of Montpertuso which is the home of several amazing area restaurants. ( Two that I've been to are Donna Rosa and Il Ritrovo).

Both places are swamped with tourists in the summer, so be prepared, drink lots of limoncello, and enjoy.

Have a great trip!

Patrick Oct 2nd, 2003 07:04 PM

buongiorno, I think you are the one who needs the lesson in geography. Sorrento is not really on the coast. Yes it is on a peninsula, but it faces the Bay of Naples and is a quick ride across the bay to Naples (not as you say, "nowhere near Naples". The peninsula itself is not what is known as the Amalfi Coast. The coast of Amalfi literally faces the sea, and Sorrento does not. Just a technicality, but daria is much closer to fact than you are.

And daria, you are one of the few I've heard from who did Capri as a day trip and still liked it. I'd strongly urge anyone going to Capri to spend the night -- that's when it is really magical.

Overall, I'd suggest you spend the full week on the Amalfi coast and area, and save Sicily for another time when you can also give it a full week.

KayF Oct 2nd, 2003 10:56 PM

We had 6 nights in Sorrento last year and found the time went very quickly. We stayed in Sorrento, at Palazzo Starace (budget priced, very central, nice clean room, would stay there again). We used the buses a lot, visited Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, also spent time walking around Sorrento. Visited Praiano by accident, got off at the wrong stop, very easy to do as there are no signs. Caught the ferry to Capri and spent the day there. The main areas in Capri are very touristy but we got off the main drag and walked up to Villa Jovis - 2000 year old temple ruins - and were the only people there. Quite a walk but worth it.
Kay

carolenap Oct 4th, 2003 03:49 PM

Thank you all for the very helpful input. I got out a map and saw what everybody meant with regard to Amalfi Coast and Sorrento. My thought now is to do the 7 days in Rome (using my Marriott points), train down to Naples and either train or ferry to Sorrento. We are not renting a car this time but will rely on the buses to do our day trips to Pompeii, Ravello, Positano and stay overnight on Capri. Giving the love of my life a break and letting him enjoy the views and the leave the driving to someone else. Happy Traveling! Thank you all again.