Reload this Page >

How long in Paris for Anniversary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:22 AM
SYDNEY

My wife and I have decided (at the last minute) to go to France in November for our 15th anniversary for 10 days. We want to go to Paris, for sure and have tentative hotel reservations. How much time would you spend in Paris? This is our first visit. Is there enought to do to spend 10 days? Would you anywhere else (?Burgundy ?Provence). Thanks so much for your help.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:28 AM
kate

Our anniversaries are almost always spent in Paris and 10 days would still not be enough for me!<BR>Maybe you would take a couple of day trips, and stay in the Paris hotel.<BR>Chartres would be the place I would pick or maybe Lyon. <BR>Make plans to see something at the Opera House, we saw a ballet, but the Opera House itself is so wonderful, you must go inside and see it!<BR>Spend a day in Montmarte, walking all the small side streets, away from Sacre Cour and the main tourist areas.<BR>There is just so much to do and see in Paris, I think 10 days would be perfect for a first time trip.<BR>Where are you thinking of staying,and do you have lots of restaurant recommendations?<BR>Happy Anniversary!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:37 AM
DORIS

I could certainly spend 10 days in Paris but I agree with Kate that daytrips are a terrific way to add variety. Chartres is a wonderful daytrip, as the town is wonderful as well as the Cathedral (enjoy a meal in one of the restaurants along the river!) Versailles, Giverny (perhaps not in November, though!), Chantilly, and the chateaux of Fontainbleau and Vaux-le-Vicomte are other options. In November, it's likely to be in the cool, which means COLD when it rains, so be prepare for rain, and cold hands and ears. If I had 10 days I might take a couple days to visit the Loire Valley; I understand Tours is a good jumping off point...or you can buy a package trip. We had a good experience with a Paris Vision daytrip: the guide was charming and quite knowledgable.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:39 AM
sydney

Thanks for your advice. We will be staying at the d'Aubusson. Do you have any restaurant recommendations?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:44 AM
elaine

Hi Sydney<BR>I stayed at the d'Aubusson a couple of years ago, great choice.<BR>Weather not likely to be great in Nov, countryside may not be at its best.<BR>I'd take the above advice and do daytrips: Chartres (Cathedral stained glass at its best on a bright day, but glorious at any time); even a daytrip or overnighter to Normandie can be arranged, on your own or with a tour, but if you want to visit the WWII beaches, bring rain gear and warm clothes.<BR><BR>I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:05 AM
kate

Sydney, the D'Aubbusson is lovely! <BR>You will love the neighborhood, there are sooo many great places to eat and just to walk around. You are about a block or so from the Seine, so you are perfectly close to the Right Bank also, and that would be right by Notre Dame and Ille St Louis! Great choice!<BR>Restaurants in that area that I can think of would be:<BR>Relais Louis 13th, rue des Grandes Augustines<BR>Allard - rue St Andres des Artes<BR>Les Booknistes-Quai des Grandes Augustines<BR>Mariage Frers salon de the-rue des Grands Augustines<BR>Cafe Deux Magots-Blvd St Germain<BR>If this is your true email address, I can email you my restaurant list also -<BR>compiled from many many trips<BR>kate<BR> <BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Paula

Sydney, I recommend the following restaurants:<BR><BR>Fish, 69 rue de Seine, T#01 43 54 34 69 Lively, bustling atmosphere. Delicious food, very good service, wonderful &quot;gateau au chocolat&quot;. Casual. Dinner for 2 without wine, approx 55 Euros.<BR><BR>Chez Maitre Paul, 12 rue Monsieur-le-Prince, T# 01 43 54 74 59 - Delicious meals. Highly recommend &quot;poulette a la creme gratinee&quot;. Very good service, atmosphere, value. Smart casual. Recommended by many on this board. Approx 65 Euros for two (including prix fixe wine option).<BR><BR>La Rotisserie d'en Face, 2 rue Christine, T#01 43 26 40 98 Just around the corner from your hotel, I believe. Lovely meals, service, atmosphere. Heavenly &quot;moelleux au chocolat&quot;. Smart casual. Approx 90 Euros (including one glass of wine and 1/2 bottle of water)<BR><BR>These restaurants are all within walking distance of your hotel. Reservations are strongly recommended in all three cases.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:00 AM
topping

ttt