Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long in each - Barcelona and Seville (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-in-each-barcelona-and-seville-869704/)

PRLCH Dec 14th, 2010 02:44 PM

How long in each - Barcelona and Seville

I am in the very early planning stages of a trip (end of 2011) which will include Spain (as part of a much bigger trip). We will be flying into Barcelona on 18th December and out of Seville on 26th December (8 nights). We prefer not to move around too much, so thought 3 nights Barcelona and 5 nights Seville. Barcelona will be a chance to recover from jetlag (as one in the party will just have done the mamoth Australia to Europe leg) while doing a fair bit of walking seeing the city sights. Seville will probably be a little more active, with a day trip to Cordoba, and perhaps a day in to see the white villages (would have loved to stay in Ronda but think it is probably not feasible ..... not yet sure how best to organise this as a day trip).

Would have loved to include Granada in the trip, but that just gives too much moving around. It seems it will have to wait for another trip.

My questions:
1) Would you agree with this split between the 2 cities?
2) Any recommendations in either city for 2 bedroom apartments would be welcomed (we are a family of 4 - parenst with daughters 18 and 19).

Thanks.

iris1745 Dec 14th, 2010 04:00 PM

Start with this. www.maribelsguides.com Paul McGrath does lovely tours to the white towns from Seville. You should be able to find him on the guides. For me, I would do four nights in each city. Good day trip from Barcelona. You can fly non-stop to Seville. Check out on this site. www.kayak.com

danon Dec 14th, 2010 04:18 PM

3 nights in Barcelona gives you about 2 days. Barcelona is a great city with a lot to see.

We rented from habitat 3 times

http://www.habitatapartments.com/
Granada is 3 hour from Seville.

CathyM Dec 14th, 2010 04:59 PM

I would probably do 4 nights in each city. This would give you just enough time to enjoy Barcelona but probably not enough time for any daytrips. 4 nights in Seville would give enough time for a daytrip to Cordoba but I don't think you'll have time for a daytrip to the white villages (you can play it by ear). You can visit Arcos by bus from Sevilla.

PRLCH Dec 14th, 2010 11:09 PM

Thanks for the insight .... and thanks for those links. I will make my way through maribelguides - looks like heaps of useful info.

I have found a lovely looking apartment in Barcelona - any comments on the location?

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/s12805.htm

mamcalice Dec 15th, 2010 05:57 AM

I would stay 3 nights in Barcelona and 4 in Seville which would enable you to stay a night in Granada. The Alhambra is definitely worth a trip and is one of the most incredible sights in Europe.

yanumpty Dec 15th, 2010 07:01 AM

Your suggested split of 3 and 4 is in my opinion perfect. I find Barcelona the least relaxing city in Europe and Seville the most relaxing. Barcelona can be very, very busy and very touristy. It can also suffer from traffic problems. It's architecture is of course interesting and there are many good Basque (north and south) restaurants.

Seville has a grand feel and doesn't feel like a busy city. It has many more traffic free areas and a much larger old town. It is a city you can "sink" into.

Granada clearly has one attraction and little else. I have to say that the Alhambra is beautiful but once you have seen the architecture of Seville, Granada is a long day trip for a similar result.

I wouldn't suggest trips to the Pueblo Blancos the roads are hard work and they are interesting if you are passing but can be a let down if you are making a specific trip.

Egbert Dec 15th, 2010 07:45 AM

I also like 3 and 4 but I am partial to Seville. You can't go wrong with 4 and 4 though. In Seville Apartmentos Murillo are highly regarded on trip advisor, probably pricey though I stay at their Hotel. Good neighborhoods besides Santa Cruz are Arenal, Alameda, Alfalfa, Macarena. Lots of apartments for less in those places. I can't imagine a trip to Andalucia without a night in Granada to see the Alhambra but if you plan on going back save it for then and the pueblos blancos too. Seville is such a great place 4 days can fly by just people watching, walking, getting lost and stopping often for tapas and a cold cervecita.

danon Dec 15th, 2010 08:25 AM

I cannot see the address on your link...the area seems close to some sights, but you will have to use Metro ( very good and cheap) to see most of the attraction in Barcelona.
The center of Barcelona is Plaça de Catalunya.

oopsy Dec 15th, 2010 09:03 AM

I would do the reverse of the plan in your original post, giving myself 5 nights in Barcelona and 3 in Seville. In fact, I might even go 6 and 2, but I am a bit infatuated with Barcelona. :)

In Barcelona, we rented from Habitat apartments. They were easy to deal with and have a good selection of apartments.