Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-from-heathrow-to-isle-of-wight-1205366/)

vernayocum Feb 20th, 2017 01:53 PM

How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight

How long will it take me to get from Heathrow to Isle of Wight ferry port. I arrive at Heathrow at 7:30 am

janisj Feb 20th, 2017 02:02 PM

I sure hope you don't plan on driving right off a long haul flight.

And <i>which</i> ferry port -- there are three.

PatrickLondon Feb 20th, 2017 07:17 PM

But all of them are reachable by train from Waterloo station in London.

So the public transport option is;

Tube to Waterloo, changing at Hammersmith to the District Line eastbound (just walk a few steps across the platform), then at Westminster to the Jubilee Line eastbound (escalators) one stop to Waterloo - say 50 minutes.

Check www.nationalrail.co.uk for departures to whichever ferry port you choose.

As to how long it takes to clear passport control and collect luggage, and allow for any delays in your plane's arrival, and therefore what time you actually leave Heathrow, who knows? But you might as well assume you will arrive at Waterloo late enough for an off-peak ticket, which you needn't book in advance, and to arrive at whichever port before lunchtime.

Gordon_R Feb 20th, 2017 11:02 PM

Rather than messing around going the opposite direction into London, getting to Waterloo and then taking a 90 minute train journey, I'd book a Portsmouth-based airport taxi company to pick you up at LHR and take you directly to the IOW ferry terminal in Portsmouth. Cost one-way around £55 - 70.

janisj Feb 21st, 2017 03:24 AM

The problem is this OP wants to take a hire car over to the IoW and then drive the next morning from Yarmouth to Bath via Stonehenge . . .

yep . . .

vernayocum Feb 21st, 2017 05:12 AM

I am renting a car but my travelling companion will be doing the driving and is arriving a few days ahead of me. So no worries about jet lag. We are staying 2 days on IOW. 1st night in Godshill, 2nd night in Yarmouth. Trying to determine drive time from Heathrow to Portsmouth ferry. AND, if it is feasible to take ferry from Yarmouth to Lymington early morning and have time to visit Stonehenge and Roman baths in one long day. Not returning to IOW. Staying in Bath or nearby.

willit Feb 21st, 2017 05:40 AM

Drive time, Heathrow to Portsmouth ferry port, traffic willing, is around 90 minutes (M25, A3).

Compare prices between Portsmouth /IOW (Wightlink) and Southampton/ IOW (Red funnel) - although drive time to either city is not much different (Portsmouth can, if you are unlucky, be a pig traffic wise as it is an island, and there are only two main routes onto it)

I've answered your other question on your other thread, but if you get an early enough ferry, yes it is possible to do Stonehenge and Bath.

vernayocum Feb 21st, 2017 05:52 AM

Thank you!