Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How Long from Harwick to Gatwick? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-from-harwick-to-gatwick-499843/)

ddssew Jan 31st, 2005 01:59 AM

How Long from Harwick to Gatwick?

My husband and I are on a cruise that goes out of Harwich. Our ship arrives in Harwich on Sunday August 7th at 7:00 a.m. We have a flight at Gatwick for 12:00 noon. I am wondering how long a trip it is from Harwich to Gatwick? We tried booking a transfer from the cruiseline but they said we need a later flight. The flight is booked and is non-refundable and non-changeable so I have to find another way to make it to the airport on time. I'm thinking we need to be there by 10:00 a.m. at the latest in order to make our noon flight?? We will have 4 big bags of luggage to tug with us too. Anyone know how long it takes to get from Harwich to Gatwick by car or by train?

Thank you for any suggestions.

ira Jan 31st, 2005 02:21 AM

Hi dd,

www.mappy.com says it is 2 hrs by car.

I suggest that you hire a limo to meet your ship.

((I))

LisaLH Jan 31st, 2005 03:09 AM

Hmmm, this is a tough one, I don't know about any of this first-hand, but I'll try give you some ideas. Looks like Harwich is on the east coast in Essex, and I'd be nervous to drive myself all that way to Gatwick (which is quite far south of London). You can get an idea of the distances/roads if you look for directions on www.multimap.com.

If it were me I'd probably take the train so as not to worry about traffic, but you'll be cutting it close. Go to www.thetrainline.com for train info and to buy tickets...they'll tell you you'll have to take a train to London Liverpool St Stn (there's one that leaves around 8:00am), then change stations via the tube (London underground) to take another train to Gatwick, with total travel time 2:40. (Yes, it's very annoying that there are SO many different train stations in London)

The problem comes if you have lots of bags you're lugging around (could you try pack lighter?) -- the tube is not very "accessible" and is full of stairs, etc. So I suppose another option would be getting off the train at Liverpool St and grabbing a taxi to get to the other train station. thetrainline.com recommends Farringdon, which is closer to Liverpool St, but I usu prefer taking the Gatwick Express from Victoria since it leaves every 15 min and arrives in 30 min. Although considering possible London traffic difficulties, Farringdon might be a better option (train to Gatwick apparently takes 40 min).

Either way, looks like you'll be at the airport quite late...10:40 for a noon flight is cutting it close, but I've done that many times and had no problems! Up to an hour is fine, but some airlines close the flight an hour before (is that a Continental flight?).

The other option is a private airport transfer, and you should find many companies that do this by google-ing "harwich airport transfer" or something. eg, I found http://www.adlg.co.uk/london_harwich.htm. I just called this particular company, and they said the transfer is about 2hrs 20min. This might be your best bet, since they'll be waiting for you as the ship gets in and they know the route. However, they're also a bit pricey. Maybe there's someone else on the ship who would want to share it with you? Whatever you decide, I think you should be able to make it (even if it is a tiny bit stressful). Worse comes to worst, maybe the agents at the airport will take pity on you and put you on the next flight out. Good luck!

x_x_x Jan 31st, 2005 05:06 AM

It would be useful for you to also find out how soon passengers can disembark after the ship has docked at Harwich. The ship may have to clear customs .

Have you asked your airline how long before your flight you need to be at Gatwick?
The minimum time needed could be 2 hours or it could be more.
After you arrive at Gatwick you'll have to check your luggage at the counter, you'll have to go through passport control and then go through security.
After you pass security you be shunted to a central area where you have to wait until your gate is posted on the monitors. Then , depending what gate you leave from, you either have a long hike, or a long hike+ a tram or bus ride to a satellite terminal.
As I recall, Gatwick advises it's at least a 20 minute journey from the waiting area to the gates.

janis Jan 31st, 2005 06:43 AM

The cruise line says you need a later flight because you do.

It takes a fair amount of time to disembark and get to any form of transport you decide on. And any of Lisa's routes would be asking for trouble because you would be traveling in the height of rush hour. With all the line changes and schlepping of luggage (and most cruisers I know have not yet signed on to the "Pack Light Creed" ) you are bound to miss a connection.

Harich to LGW is almost 100 miles -- maybe a bit more even -- through some of the most congested roads in Europe. So driving won't work. And most transatlantic carriers demand a minimum 2 hour advance check in and some have upped it to 3 hours.

Where is your last port -- in Holland possibly? If your tix are non-refundable you might consider leaving the cruise a night early and taking a low cost airline to LGW.

janis Jan 31st, 2005 06:46 AM

OH - Darn - I completely missed the bit about this being a sunday Morning!!!!

If you book a car service (limo) you could probably just make it - because sunday a.m. traffic won't be bad. But it will be VERY expensive.

Robespierre Jan 31st, 2005 07:13 AM

Waaal, lessee. There are no trains from Harwich to London until 8:58 on Sunday, and it's a 3-hour trip to Gatwick. So it looks like you'll have to get by road to somewhere with train service to the airport.

A quick google of &quot;harwich to gatwick&quot; turns up a service at &pound;149 for the two of you. That's not a lot more than the train, and they adapt to <u>your</u> timetable. Just get it booked well in advance!

<b>http://www.adlg.co.uk/tariff.htm#harwich</b>

(And don't forget to fire whoever made your arrangements for you.)

janis Jan 31st, 2005 08:55 AM

No half-way competent TA would book this mess so I suspect ddssew may need to fire herself or her DH.

LisaLH Jan 31st, 2005 09:04 AM

Ooops, sorry, Robespierre is right, the Sunday train service looks no good, but I still think a private transfer is your best bet. Looks like he found the same transfer company that I did, and they quoted 2:20 travel time, so I definitely think you'll make it. I know you're *supposed* to be at the airport 2 hrs before your flight, but they should still let you on the plane up to 1 hr before. My husband and I do this all the time (we flew transatlantic 8 times each last year) and have never had a problem. I do agree that you should check how long it takes to disembark... Good luck!