Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long from Downtown Tours to the St. Pierre des Corps train station? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-from-downtown-tours-to-the-st-pierre-des-corps-train-station-338457/)

DawnRainbows Jul 18th, 2003 09:13 AM

How long from Downtown Tours to the St. Pierre des Corps train station?

We will be dropping off our rental car at the Downtown Tours Alamo location (24 Rue Marcel) before we travel by TGV train to Paris. There seem to be a greater number of TGV choices coming out of the St. Pierre des Corps station. How long will it take to travel there mid-day and how much might the taxi fare be?

Thanks so much
Dawn

PalenqueBob Jul 18th, 2003 09:25 AM

The two stations are two miles apart, St-Pierre-des-Corps being in the southern suburbs. The in-town Tours station is a dead-end spur line running off the main Paris-Bordeaux line that runs through St-P-d-Corps, thus many Paris-Bordeaux trains only stop at St-P-d-Corps. Navette (shuttle) trains run from the Tours station, by the Alama drop off, to hook up with all trains at St Pierre-des-Corps.

kiwigirl Jul 18th, 2003 11:55 AM

We went to Tours last year on the TGV to St Pierre des Corps and then the connecting trtain to Tours. You don't need to catch a taxi to the station at St Pierre des Corps, just get the train from the beautiful train station at Tours.

DawnRainbows Jul 19th, 2003 10:33 AM

Okay, I have been convinced to take the local train to SPDC station, however, is is possible to walk from the Alamo drop-off location (24 Rue Marcel Tribut) to the Tours station? Bob seemed to imply that Alamo and the train station are very close to each other. Is that accurate?

Dawn

pegprescott Aug 24th, 2003 02:54 PM

I have a similiar question. We are taking a train from CDG airport to either Tours or St Pierre des Corps. Which is the better spot to pick up a rental car for our Loire driving tour?

elisabet Aug 24th, 2003 04:21 PM

The train station at St Pierre des Corps is indeed lovely, but I seem to remember a lack of available bathrooms when I was there in July. Signs pointing to restrooms led us to discover that they were all closed on that day in mid-morning. Perhaps for some a non-issue, or possibly an inconvenience.

RachelG Aug 24th, 2003 05:46 PM

pegprescott-There is an Avis rental location right at the St. Pierre des Corps station--very convenient.

SandyR Aug 24th, 2003 07:30 PM

We took the TGV from CDG to St. Pierre des Corps and rented a car from Avis at the train station in St. Pierre, this past July. Avis is actually attached to the train station so it was very convinient for picking up and droping off the rental car. Be aware that there are no gas stations within a mile circle of the train station so fill your gas tank before you get close to the train station.

RachelG Aug 25th, 2003 10:08 AM

We found out the gas station thing the hard way on our last trip--ended up having to pay for $20 worth of gas from Avis.

pegprescott Aug 27th, 2003 06:33 PM

Thanks for the responses. My plan to take a train from CDG to Tours or St Pierre seems to get more and complicated. We would have a four hour wait at CDG for our train which isn't appealing with jet lag. Also discovered that a one way car rental in Tours carries a hefty surcharge ($135 or more). Picking up a car at St Pierre is only offered by Avis whose quotes are $150-200 higher that autoeurope and others. Anyway my husband is suggesting we just pick up the car at CDG (much cheaper overall) and get on our way to Chenonceaux right after landing. I'm concerned about driving that distance with jet lag. Any thoughts about the difficulty of this drive? (He is experienced driving in Europe.)