Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long from Derbyshire to Lake District by Car/train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a bit of a problem planning an upcoming trip to England in May 2007. We want to stay a few days in Derbyshire, probably on Chatsworth Estate.

We may spend 3 full days there - is this a good amount or too much time? We want to see the Chatsworth estate and drive to Lyme Park, but I don't really have a clue about other things to see in the area.

Getting on with the original question - how long would it take to drive from Derbyshire to the Lake District? Would it be better to drop off the rental car in Derbyshire, take a train up to the Lake District, and then rent another car?

I'm thinking it would make more sense to just drive up, but I'm hoping the drive isn't longer than 4-5 hours. None of us have ever driven in England, so I'm not sure if we should include "extra" time in case we get lost along the way.

Any help would really be appreciated!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Hi, 3 hours will be more than enough if you use the motorways, I would think that you will see far more of the country if you go via Leeds and then up to Settle. Fantastic countryside. If you did take this option and you have time break the journey near Skipton or near Malham
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM

BTW 3 days at Chatsworth - 1 night is enough
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

flybob,

How long would it take if we took the route you suggested - would it still be 3 hours?

Our itinerary isn't set, but we thought to spend 3 nights in Chatsworth because we would also use it as a base, and then spend a day driving to/from Lyme Park in Cheshire.

Is a day trip from Chatsworth to Lyme Park doable?

I'm not sure if we should break up the days...spend maybe two nights near Chatsworth, overnight somewhere while getting to Lake District, and then spend a few days in the Lake district.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your questions seem like it is a long trek from Derbyshire to the Lakes - they are practically next door neighbors. Not literally of course - but less than 150 miles. Absolutely no reason to rent two different cars or to break your journey.

Now if you want to stop over someplace enroute - that is fine. Traveling slow and taking your time is a good thing. There are some lovely places -- but you wouldn't need to break your journey simply because of long distances or anything.

And Chatsworth to Lyme Park is less than 25-30 miles.

Your plan on staying 3 days in Derbyshire sounds lovely - There is much more than enough to fill your time there.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:51 PM

Anna,
if you took it leasurly over 2 days to travel you would see so much. Derbyshire is very pleasant but i woul recomend the hills and dales of Yorkshire , Lancashire and the lakes have more (IMO) than Derbyshire. 1 car
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Anyone know how long (in terms of hours) it takes to get from Chatsworth to Lyme Park?

Just to throw a wrench into everything - it seems like we might be flying into Manchester from Paris, work our way down from Manchester to Derbyshire and then on to London.

If we arrive into Manchester airport around 4:30 p.m on a Friday, how long would it take us to venture out to the Lake District? I'm not familiar with the area at all, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, if we fly into Manchester, we would technically be staying in the Lake District 3 nights, but by flying into Manchester at 4:30p.m., we really only have two full days for the Lakes - is this enough? Should we take out a day from Derbyshire and add it to the Lakes instead?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM

&quot;<i>Anyone know how long (in terms of hours) it takes to get from Chatsworth to Lyme Park?</i>&quot; - As I mentioned above, they are less than 30 miles apart. Would not be measured in &quot;hours&quot; by any stretch of the immagination.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:27 PM

&quot;f we arrive into Manchester airport around 4:30 p.m on a Friday&quot;

It might take about 3-4 hours to the lakes on a May Friday night, depending on whether it's a holday weekend (first and last weekends are), the state of traffic on the M56/M6 (usually ghastly from 0430 to 2000, but you might hit them on a really bad day) and the phases of the moon. On the one day a century the traffic's clear you'd manage 2 hours easy.

Use the journey planner at rac.co.uk, understanding that it's practically impossible for any British journey to be much quicker than the planner indicates (on a good day you might shave 20% off), but that on any potentially congested road (ie any road number beginning A, B or M) times can easily double, and it's always prudent to assume it'll take 50% longer.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:53 AM

Hi ...

I regularly fly into Manchester &amp; drive upto the Lakes (my parents live just outside Kendal). Normally it takes me about 2 hours to drive to Kendal (which is just outside the Lakes) - about 100 miles.

But where do you plan on going in the Lakes ?? as once you get past Kendal the roads start to get narrow - so journeys get longer.

If you land at 4;30, by the time you get your car it'll be nearer 6:30, so hopefully a lot of the traffic will have disappeared. Also once you get past Preston - it will quieten down.

Make sure you take the correct route - I once followed the signs for Preston - M6 - assuming this would take me North - yes it did - but not before it took me 40 miles West, so adding about 70 miles on to my journey!!

If you need any more info - eg which road to take then give me a shout.

Mark
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:53 AM

Anna, you have already received some excellent advice. My vote would be for extra time in the lakes as there is more to see and do there than in Derbyshire. But I wouldn't be too stressed about it because both areas are beautiful and you will thoroughly enjoy both.

Definitely just rent one car. Treat roundabouts like clocks when directing the driver through them.

Everyone in England seems to drive north on the weekend. We have found that driving south to the lakes from Glasgow is quicker than driving north from Manchester if this is an option. Both take a bit more than two hours without traffic.

We spend a week or two in the lake district almost every year so you might find my report and photos helpful: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34811293
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM

I understood you to mean you were going to stay near Chatsworth first, BEFORE driving up to the Lakes. Right? If so all the talk about driving up on a Friday afternoon isn't really to the point.

You will have a short drive over to Chatsworth, and the on the Monday (hopefully not one of the Bank holiday Mondays) you can then make your way to the Lake District.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys... I know I have more questions, but the planning stage is just overwhelming me right now.

Hopefully we can arrive on a weekday, instead of Friday,Sat.,Sun. which I hope would make a difference on the amount of time it takes to drive from Manchester to the Lakes.

Is Manchester the closest major airport near the Lakes? If anyone knows of a budget airline/major airline that flys from Paris to the Lake District, please let me know.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:49 PM

Yes, Manchester is the nearest airport for the Lake District (and for Derbyshire). I would book your frlights first and then worry about how many days in each place. There is plenty to do in both areas for more than a few days. I know Derbyshire very well and often visit Chatsworth, Castleton and Bakewell. There is a lot to see and lots of beautiful walks. The same can be said for the Lake District.
Re. flights. I think you should look for a major airline, or a budget airline with a lot of flights (as they can cancel some). Manchester is your best bet for the areas you are visiting. If you get a cheaper flight to another airport I would forget it because your other expenses will add up to more.
Carolena
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

What if I arrived in Manchester on a Saturday afternoon instead of a Friday afternoon - does this make a difference?
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - forgot to add that everyone is saying that if we arrived on a Friday afternoon around 4:30p.m., the traffic would take us 4 hours from Manchester to the Lake District - would arriving the same time on Saturday mean it would take less time to reach the Lake District?
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:56 PM

Hi ...

Have you thought about flying into Liverpool from Paris with Easyjet - they do have some very cheap fares.

Liverpool is not that far from Manchester.

Are you flying home from Manchester or do you need to get back to Paris?

If you need to get back to Paris - book a return with Easyjet to Liverpool &amp; hire car at Liverpool - it shouldn't take more than about 3 hours to drive to the Lakes from Liverpool.

If you flying home from Manchester - investigate the one way drop off charges - as that negiate the cheaper cost of the flight to Liverpool.

Mark
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:13 AM

Hi ...

I have checked the distance from Liverpool to Kendal (edge of Lakes) &amp; it is about 80 miles, the same as from Manchester airport.

I have driven the route from Manchester to Kendal on many many occasions - not ONCE has it taken me more than 3 hours - in fact I've managed to do it in less than 1.5 hours before. Most of these times have been on a Friday evening between 6 &amp; 8PM.

The problem will come when you want to leave the motorway, becasue then you will start hitting the holiday traffic - the caravans etc - which you will struggle to overtake.

How about staying at a hotel near the edge of the Lakes (just south of Kendal) &amp; just off J36 of the M6. This is the www.crooklands.com - which I have stayed at a number of times. Quite good.

Mark