Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long for response from Vatican on the Scavi tour? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-for-response-from-vatican-on-the-scavi-tour-675861/)

phieaglefan Feb 1st, 2007 03:44 PM

How long for response from Vatican on the Scavi tour?

Hi all,

I have sent my Scavi tour request to the Vatican - approximately two weeks ago. I got the auto-responder message so I know that it arrived.

Any idea what the average response time is on confirmation of availability? I'm guessing it varies, but what was your experience?

Thanks!
H

Tim_and_Liz Feb 1st, 2007 03:47 PM

When are you going? We requested a March tour in November-December and had our confirmation in 8 days.

phieaglefan Feb 1st, 2007 03:59 PM

Thanks Tim and Liz,
We're going in late May - a much busier time I'm guessing.

How many choices of days did you give them?
H

tcreath Feb 1st, 2007 04:04 PM

I think it just depends. We did our tour in December 05. We sent in our request in early October and had a response in less than two weeks. We were only in Rome for 3 days, but gave all three days as options so we could be as accommodating as possible. Others claim that it can take up to a couple of months.

Tracy

gohedwig Feb 1st, 2007 04:29 PM

In my case, it took 9 days for the Scavi office to confirm my reservation. I sent in my request on 12/3/06 and received confirmation from Scavi on 12/12/06. My tour is on May 18, 2007
Gohedwig

Tim_and_Liz Feb 1st, 2007 04:36 PM

We only gave them a choice of two days. Good luck to you!

jedijill Feb 1st, 2007 04:57 PM

Just don't forget to send them payment after you receive confirmation or else they will cancel your reservations.

HTH

Jill in KC

Madison Feb 1st, 2007 06:23 PM

It took me 3 1/2 weeks to find out I will beable to go on the Scavi Tour. I gave them a choice of 2 dates. I will be in Rome in mid April. Good luck. Let us know if you got your reservations

Margaretlb Feb 1st, 2007 06:50 PM

I requested my tour in April 2006 for October 2006. I gave one day and requested early morning. I received my reservation two weeks before my reservation date. So, for me, it took about 6 months. If you are offered a reservation don't forget to send your credit card info on time (I think they give you a week or so). If you don't pay on time, you loose your spot.

phieaglefan Feb 2nd, 2007 10:44 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. It looks as though I might still have a chance.

I had thought about including our arrival and departure days from Rome to increase our chances, but was sure they would give me early on arrival day or late on departure day, so I didn't include them.

I will definately post if and when I hear from them!
H

julia_t Feb 2nd, 2007 10:57 AM

And I applied in May last year, giving a window of 6 days when we were available to take the tour, and never heard another peep after the initial auto-response!

I tried again towards the end of September even though they tell you not to and still nothing. I even tried turning up on our first morning in Rome at the Scavi office to be told no availability on any day that week.

Oh well, I suppose it's a reason to go back to Rome!

vinolover Feb 2nd, 2007 02:26 PM

I sent my request in late January, requesting a date in early March (I only gave them a choice of one date). Got the auto-reply by the next morning. Got my reservation e-mail five days later. Sent my credit card info within a couple of hours after they sent my reservation number. Got the auto-reply to that the next morning. Now waiting for the actual deposit receipt. All done via e-mail not fax.

REALLY looking forward to this tour. Thanks so much for all the information about it. I'm not sure I would have considered this tour based on what I read in guidebooks but on this site and SlowTravel I read rave reviews about it.

phieaglefan Mar 9th, 2007 05:37 AM

Hi all,

I promised I would post back when I heard. I was giving up hope but... yesterday I heard back that we have reservations for May 28! YEAH! I guess there is not much rhyme or reason as to when responses are sent. I truly thought that since I had not heard, we would not get tickets.

I am SOOOOOOO excited!!!!!

Thanks for all of your input!
H

Samsaf Mar 9th, 2007 06:14 AM

We went on the Scavi tour last week. We never gave any credit card info, and just paid right before the tour (10E per person). We were never asked to pre-pay.

morrissthecat Mar 14th, 2007 11:47 AM

Just today I received confirmation of the Scavi Tour. It took about 3 1/2 weeks to hear back for a May 2007 request.

wonderer Mar 14th, 2007 12:15 PM

I have tried many times to send an e-mail. I tried the e-mail on the Scavi website (Vatican) and I tried the uff address first. No luck. Can you all tell me how you got through.

kaybee Mar 14th, 2007 04:34 PM

Dear Phieaglefan:
Congrats! on your Scavi reservation. I have also just received mine for May 2007 as well which had requested back in December. I sent in our credit card info via e-mail about a week ago & haven't receieved confirmation yet. Have you received yours? Did you do it by e-mail or fax? This sure is a process! Thanks in advance for any info. Enjoy your tour.

lothar1138 Mar 15th, 2007 06:17 AM

I emailed them on March 2nd (for May 7-9) and received a tour confirmation on March 15th! Now waiting on the receipt/confirmation on payment. I've done it before - it is well worth it.

Calmasaurus Mar 17th, 2007 02:42 PM

We sent our request on March 5th, and received our reservation date and time yesterday, March 16th! We gave them 4 days of availability in the middle of May. So excited!

vivi Mar 17th, 2007 04:27 PM

I sent in my request about 2 months ago for a mid-May tour (I gave them a window of 3 days.) I heard from them affirmatively last week and immediately sent in my credit card number. I have not received a confirmation yet but I already see the cahrge posted to my Visa acct.