Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long does it take to go by train between these cities in Great Britain? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-does-it-take-to-go-by-train-between-these-cities-in-great-britain-25871/)

Kim May 16th, 1998 07:47 PM

How long does it take to go by train between these cities in Great Britain?

I have worked out a one week itenerary and am not sure that I am allowing enough time for travel. What is the time travel between the following cities? On Sunday we arrive in London and on Monday fly up to Edinburgh to get there more quickly than taking the train. Edinburgh (2 nights) then train to Aberdeen (2 nights) then to York (2 nights) then to Oxford. I need to figure out how long it will take to go from one place to the other by train. We will spend a week in Oxford then a week in Cambridge for a special seminar. Thanks so much for any and all replys. I plan to revisit this helpful Fodor site after our trip in late July to help others as I have been helped in planning this trip. Kim

Doug May 16th, 1998 10:07 PM

You can call 1-800-438-7245.It's all automatic. You use a touchtone phone, spell the city names and they tell you the distances and travel times between the two points.

May May 17th, 1998 03:53 AM

There's a British Rail website at www.railtrack.co.uk where you can get rail times/routes online. You only need to give your station of departure and arrival, Date and preferred time and it'll list all the options for the day.
Hopw this helps!

roger May 18th, 1998 09:52 AM

Edinburg to Aberdeen 2 1/2 hours. Averdeen to York 5 hours. York to Oxford 3:45.

Jen Z May 20th, 1998 04:12 PM

Some thoughts: If I were you I would head up first to York from London (3 hour train). Then it's probably another 3 hours to Edinburgh, and 3 hours to Aberdeen. They are pretty evenly spaced on the map, and though the train from London to York is a faster one than most, I can't imagine the other distances taking much longer than four. THEN fly back to London, and take the train to Oxford. Or, if possible, take a night train from Aberdeen to London (you can sleep on the train, save on time and accomodations, and not spend as much as you would flying). My _Lonely Planet_ guidebook says that, taking into account the amount of time it takes getting to and from the airport, and waiting for your plane, planes really aren't that much quicker than the trains and are the prices higher than first class rail. Seven days IS a short time for such distances. When I was in England it took a week just to see London, York and Edinburgh, and that was rushing it. Perhaps you would be better off using London and York as "base-camps" doing day trips from them, skipping Scotland all together. There's lots in there: Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, the Cotswolds, Stonehenge...Don't think you have to stick to the cities. There's great stuff to be seen in the smaller places, too! Have fun!