Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How long does it take for a pkg to go from Italy to the US..?
Notices

How long does it take for a pkg to go from Italy to the US..?

Jun 9th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Vlawson

How long does it take for a pkg to go from Italy to the US..?

Hello once again. We would like to send a small package to our children when we arrive in Italy for 2 weeks in July. Can anyone tell me how long it will/should take to arrive? And, what is the best method and cost? Thanks in advance!

Jun 10th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Rex

"small package" - - under a pound? 3 to 6 days with FedEx - - might cost $30 to 40 USD.

Regular post? 2 to 6 weeks. Perhaps others can give you a better answer, based on specific experience. My sole firsthand experience came from sending a poster once from Germany; Took about three weeks, cost about 4 or 5 dollars, I think; arrived totally undamaged, in a rigid mailing tube.

I have since hand carried back many other posters in rigid mailing tubes, also undamaged.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 10th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Paulo

Postal parcel service from Italy to Brazil takes from 8 to 12 weeks. I would think that it takes less to the US, but not that much. My experience is that from Germany and Austria to Brazil it takes half the time (2 to 5 weeks).

Paulo

Jun 10th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Chris Philhower

France to US -- priority takes about a week (2-3 quoted), "regular" is quoted to be 4-8 weeks. I've always sent priority. Always within 5-7 days, in good condition.

Expense depends on weight and size -- if light, about $5-$10.

Hope it helps.

Jun 10th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Deb

I was thinking about taking FedEx shipping labels from my company in order to send back a lot of our purchases while in Italy. The charges would be applied to our account and then I will reimburse the company. I've done this many times within the US and it works great (& less expensive as well - get our high volume corporate rate discount).

Has anyone else done this? Will it work in Europe?

DFW 6/10/01

Jun 10th, 2001, 02:31 PM
beenthere

Deb

We sent X'mas presents to the states for my mom to hold for us until we got there. We sent through one of our employers here in Europe -- my mom got a bill for almost $300!!!! Duty fees!!! She still hasn't forgiven me. But she's still talking to me

The problem was, that the carrier that was used didn't communicate the "sender will pay fees" to the US branch. And when they DID, the US branch screwed it up. It was eventually straightened out, and my mom didn't have to pay anything.

Bottom line -- you can try it. I have a feeling that you'll need a European account -- but if you don't, watch those duty fees!!!

Search this Thread