Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How long are lines at the sncf station at CDG? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-long-are-lines-at-the-sncf-station-at-cdg-789783/)

ambage Jun 12th, 2009 05:37 PM

How long are lines at the sncf station at CDG?

We'l be flying in on a Wed morning (Sept) and will need to pick up our pre-paid TGV tickets at the station. We'll have approx 2 hrs/45 min between landing and catching the train.

Are the lines very long at the train station?

Barnum Jun 12th, 2009 06:04 PM

What will you do if your plane is late?

janisj Jun 12th, 2009 06:23 PM

"<i>Are the lines very long at the train station?</i>"

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If you are from the States your credit card probably won't work in ticket machines so you'll have to wait in line no matter how long it is.

2:45 <i>should</i> be long enough - but if you land late all bets are off.

suntravler Jun 12th, 2009 06:28 PM

LONG...from my experience. And a US credit card probably will NOT work in the ticket machines. And if there are cash machines, you will need exact change...if I remember correctly. None of the shops in the airport will give you change (from my experience). Some very nice French lady in the airport witnessed my panic at not being able to use the machines and gave me exact change for my Euro bills. Otherwise I would have missed my train. Don't take a chance!!

suntravler Jun 12th, 2009 06:30 PM

OOOPS...sorry ambage. I didn't see you have pre-paid tickets. But still, my experience was that ticket lines were always very long.

DeborahAnn Jun 12th, 2009 06:51 PM

ambage, even though we left PHL one hour late the USAir crew made up the time and we arrive at CDG on time last month. It took us 1 1/2 hours to go through passport control, get our luggage (which were one of the last to arrive on the belt) and get to the TGV terminal at CDG2 for our train to Stasbourg. This was on a Monday morning, lines were intermittently really loooong and not so long ;;) I would think you will have enough time to pick up your ticket and make your train. We printed our tickets at home so didn't have to wait in the line. Deborah

ambage Jun 12th, 2009 08:38 PM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I had planned to print out our tickets at home, but the sncf site's print option was "temporarily unavailable" for quite some time.

I was afraid we might not get tickets, so I went with an option that was available. I guess we'll take our chances!

StCirq Jun 12th, 2009 08:45 PM

That's about the same amount of time I generally allot for getting to the TGV station at CDG and getting my tickets, but as some have mentioned, the lines can be short or very, very long, and at CDG, unless things have changed, they don't have that "Départ Immédiat" line for folks whose trains are departing really soon.

I THINK you'll be fine, but if your plane is very late or the lines are uncharacteristically long, you might not be.

Not much of an answer, is it?

BTW, you can go back into the SNCF site and print your tickets if you have your confirmation number. Maybe that will help.

ambage Jun 12th, 2009 09:11 PM

StCirq - thanks for your comments.

I've tried going back into the sncf site to print my tickets (I have my confirmation number), but I can't seem to find the "print" option.

Can you help?

Thanks.