Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   how large is the Athens airport? Will I make my connecting flight? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-large-is-the-athens-airport-will-i-make-my-connecting-flight-714823/)

mc10 Jun 20th, 2007 06:44 PM

how large is the Athens airport? Will I make my connecting flight?

Hello all,
My husband and I will be flying into Athens mid-September on US Airways and are scheduled to arrive around 9AM. I was hoping to schedule a flight to Santorini on Aegean Airlines that same day. Does anyone have any idea as to how much time I should allot for picking up our bags and checking in at the Aegean counter? I noticed that Aegean has 10 Euro flights from Athens to Santorini (I hope I read it right on their website) at 11:15AM or 12:40PM and the price increases to 27 Euros for the last flight at 7pm. If I book the 12:40 flight, will I be able to make it (assuming that my flight from the US arrives on time). Or is it safer to book the 7pm flight, and if so, is there anything my husband and I can do to kill time in between flights, other than hanging out at the airport? Another thought was to pack light (just a carry-on for each of us) so that we don't have to wait to pick up our luggage, but I haven't fully thought this through and not sure if it's do-able.
Thanks so much!

brotherleelove2004 Jun 20th, 2007 08:45 PM

The airport is small and there is virtually no passport control or customs inspection. Just get off your plane, collect your bags and go upstairs by carousel #9 to check in at the Aegean counter. If you're arriving at 9 AM you will have plenty of time to check in, especially if you book the 12:40 flight. I think you can safely book the earlier flight without any problem.

mc10 Jun 20th, 2007 08:55 PM

Thanks Brotherleelove! I knew you would have an answer!

flanneruk Jun 20th, 2007 10:40 PM

There's little to do at the airport between flights, BUT

If you've got a bit of time, get the metro to the Acropolis. It's a bit dilatory, and doesn't go that often, so allow an hour each way for the journey.

But - even including the train from Sydney airport to the harbour - this has to be the most outstanding and painless distraction if you're stuck at an airport anywhere is the world.

And it costs about fourpence.

IN mc10s shoes, I'd book on the later flight anyway just to do this.

Heimdall Jun 20th, 2007 10:57 PM

Flanner, is that four old pence or four new pence? ;-)

I'm afraid I'll have to go with brotherleelove on this one. After an overnight flight from the US, the last thing I would want to do is take the metro into Athens for the day.

seeksocean Aug 24th, 2007 10:44 AM

I love Fodors! Our flight gets into Athens from Amsterdam in late April at 4:20pm. We are thinking of taking the flight to Santorini at 6pm. Does that give us enough time to get the Santorini flight?

brotherleelove2004 Aug 24th, 2007 11:03 AM

If everything goes according to schedule 1.5 hours is more than enough time to collect your bags and check in for your domestic flight. I've made it in a lot less time than that.

boncuvak Mar 13th, 2013 06:16 AM

hi

I have a similar question... We have a flight from Santorini to Athens on our way out which arrives in Athens at 16:55pm. and our intl flight onward to Bahrain at 18:45pm.

Is this time enough - 1 hour and 50 mins, considering we have to do Immigration.

what do you think? do flights from Santorini to Athens take off and land on time generally?

brotherleelove2004 Mar 13th, 2013 08:21 AM

Trying to make a tight connection from the islands to an international flight out of Athens is always risky. You're taking a chance. Do you have a backup plan if you miss your flight?