Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How is the weather and scenery the last two weeks in March usually?

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Sheila

My 16 year old son wants to go to Ireland for spring break next year which is the last 2 weeks in March. How is the weather and scenery usually during this time of year? I have checked into some tours including CIE and was wondering what your experiences have been with tours and teenagers. Do they get bored with this type of tour? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:29 AM
getready

Sheila

Get ready to get blasted for even mentioning a "tour" on this site. I know I have asked similar questions in the past. Hope you are very thick skinned.

Personally, I think he will have a great time. I went on a senior class tour to Europe almost 30 years ago. Hopefully your son will be going with other kids his age. If so, let him go!!!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 06:38 AM
irish

Sheila:
Is this a trip for the two of you? If it is and the first time I highly recommend CIE (not everyone here will agree with me, just watch) If it is a group of other 16 year olds I do not! The weather in March is chilly and rainy but who cares? You are in Ireland!! Dress in layers, bring waterproof jackets and boots. Have a wonderful time!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Sheila

The trip is for he and I and maybe a friend of his. I am not confident enough to go on my own so I am looking for a good tour company. Thanks for advice so far and any extra.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 09:07 AM
irish

Sheila:
I really enjoyed my trip with CIE. 15 days Ireland, Scotland and England (London, York and Stratford). It is a very quick pace really no time to be bored. The time to book is now! March is just around the corner Vacation Wise and everyone else who wants to go on spring break will be making their plans too. CIE sometimes offers a special if you book before a certain date. WWW.CIETOURS.COM or 1-800-CIE-TOURS. Have a Great time!!!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 10:46 AM
getready

Irish

My wife, daughter (10 years), sister-in-law, and myself are planning a trip to Scotland and England next August. I am leaning towards CIE or Insight. Insight is a few hundred dollars cheaper but CIE seems to have a better itinerary. Also they say there are no optionals. Is this true? If there is something not offered, can you go off by yourself, or is there not enough time for that. Also heard the meals are not so good on Insight and Trafalgar. How were they on CIE.

Thank You.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 11:13 AM
irish

Hi Get Ready:
My trip with CIE was wonderful! Yes you might pay more but my research proved I was getting my money's worth. The second week of the tour was the Scotland - England part. The Hotels were excellent, the food at the hotels was fine. I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was included as far as attractions and you always get in to it first with the tour guide. My trip gave me one day in Glascow, two days in Edinburgh with afternoons and one evening on my own. One evening was a "Scottish" evening, very enjoyable. The Highlands were spectacular! England was great too! London was pretty much on our own. If you plan early enough CIE gives a discount (in my case if the trip was booked by 3/17 there was a $200.00 discount per person. You never worry about your luggage. The tour guide and bus operator were terrific! My 2002 trip is a CIE Trip to the West Coast and I look forward to it. Just an afterthought, I would purchase the insursnce that CIE offers. One of the people on my tour had their luggage left in LAX for three days. The Insurance gave them each $100 to spend immediately and was going to compensate for the trouble when they got home. The tour guide gave the woman something to sleep in and the bus operator gave shaving stuff to the man. pretty nice! What ever you decide, have a wonderful time.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 11:59 AM
getready

Irish

Thank you for the review. We are leaning toward CIE.

Sheila - Sorry for taking over your thread. Really hope you get more answers.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Thyra

I can't speak of tours, but hopefully a first time tour will give you confidence to make another trip on your own! But regarding weather, we have been to Ireland several times at the end of March and found the weather to be chilly in the evenings, mostly dry but with a strong possibility of showers. The only thing consistant about Irish weather is that is is Inconsistant, but I would be prepared by layering and bring a pair of gloves and rain gear. However there should be equal number of sunny days and last year during March it was sort of toasty a couple of days. I am sure your son will have a great trip, travel in some respects can teach more then college, and in some instances is less expensive!

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 01:20 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

For weather you can try http://www.worldclimate.com/

Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 08:29 PM
steve

I spent the last week of March this year in Ireland. It was nice and pleasant - cool, but virtually no rain (which they said was unusual).

You can never tell what the weather will be - I've been in London when it has been freezing in July and have been sunburned there in June. Go and have a great time