Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How is the best way to get from Lyceum Theatre to Prince Edward Theatre for two plays? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-is-the-best-way-to-get-from-lyceum-theatre-to-prince-edward-theatre-for-two-plays-112166/)

Sheila Mar 14th, 2001 05:57 AM

How is the best way to get from Lyceum Theatre to Prince Edward Theatre for two plays?

My plans for London in June are almost complete. One day while we are there, we are seeing the Lion King at the Lyceum at 2:00 and then Mamma Mia at 7:30 at the Prince Edward. What would be the quickest way to get from one theatre to the other? Also I would appreciate a good restaurant recommendation near either theatre for us to eat between shows. Everyone has been a great help in my planning and I am looking forward to my first trip to London. Thanks.

Patrick Mar 14th, 2001 06:13 AM

Wow! What a day of theatre! You'll be smiling ear to ear by bedtime! Here's my suggestion. As you come out the entrance to the Lyceum you need to turn left and walk up past the corner you are on one more block and turn left onto Tavistock. Walk to the "end" of Tavistock and sort of angle to the right and you will be following Henrietta. Have dinner at Rule's -- prebook for pretheatre dinner. It is not inexpensive but it is a tremendous bargain and a beautiful old place, sometimes called London's oldest restaurant (along with about 12 other such claims). You choose any three courses from their great menu, not just some small selection as most places give you. Don't miss the sticky toffee pudding for dessert. When finished, continue on Henrietta to the end (one block), turn right on Bedford and it will angle slightly left becoming Garrick. Follow that one block to the big intersection of Long Acre/Cranbourn (it changes names at that corner). Take the little Great Newport Street which angles to the left for one block and turn right on Charing Cross. Go up one major block to Shaftesbury. You will see Les Miserables on your left. Go just to the far end of that theatre and follow the little street to run right into Prince Edward on Old Compton (again, just a block). This sounds involved but it is really a pretty short distance. You could easily walk it in 15 minutes without the dinner stop. I trust you will pick up a map before you do it so it will be easier to follow. You can get a great free "theatreland" map at the half price booth at Leicester Square, which shows the locations of all theatres and also has the current show list on it. Have fun and enjoy!! I envy you that perfect day in London!

Sheila Mar 14th, 2001 06:47 AM

Thanks Patrick. I need to take you along. Sounds like you really know the area. I was wanting to go to Rules so that sounds like a great idea. This will also give me the general area for Les Mis as I am also seeing that while I am there. How far in advance do you think I should book reservations for Rules? Thanks again for great help.

Patrick Mar 14th, 2001 09:55 AM

Sheila, the flat I always rent is just off Garrick on Floral Street, you'll practically pass it, so yes, I do know the area pretty well. I'd call Rule's about two weeks ahead to be safe. Wish I could go with you, this will be the first year in many I don't get to London, staying in the states and going to Alaska this summer. Hope London survives without me for an entire year (smile).

Lori Mar 14th, 2001 10:39 AM

Patrick, <BR>Sheila and I will take good care of London this year for you I'm sure! I'm going next month & will see 4 shows so I will think of you as you plan that trip to Alaska. We go to London & Paris every year (usually) too. I just found the Rules website, they have a pre-theater dinner between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. if anyone is interested in that. You will have to post on the US forum about the Alaska trip (or is it a cruise?)