Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How is the area around Munich's hauptbahnhof these days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at the possibility of a week in Munich in August, and I see that Mercure has some good rates on several of their hotels in Munich. One is the City Center hotel, supposedly 4*, which is about a block or two south of the train station. I remember from my last visit, about 4 years ago, that it wasn't necessarily the nicest part of town, but certainly advantageous as far as taking day trips via train, & close to the Altstadt as well. Would this be a good location for a week's stay?
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Yes, completely safe. Nothing has changed, we're still waiting for the economic downturn. Hasn't happened yet.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Hope it never comes, logos! vielen Dank.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM

I agree with Logos. As far as train stations go in Europe, the Munich Hbf is pretty nice, and it has always been safe when I've traveled through it. I would venture to guess the same is true of the hotels nearby.

I think the scariest sight I've ever seen there was a hoard of drunken Oktoberfest goers wearing the tacky felt bier mug hats as they stumbled through the train station singing loudly.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM

I am a woman traveling solo many times. I stay at a hotel on Schillerstrasse almost directly across from the train station. I do day trips and sometimes do not return to Munich til after dark. No problems. There are couple of bars across the street from the hotel, but I have never encountered a problem. There is one homeless(I assume) woman that is sitting outside the station sometimes. She's been there for years and is harmless. She occasionally shouts out at someone, but that's it.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM

It takes a while before they're taken off the street. All the homeless you see have mental problems. If they're harmless and no danger to themselves, no judge can take them off the street. So it sometimes may be annoying to others.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Yes, the woman I referred to appears to be mentally challenged, but she is totally harmless. She has never annoyed me. I just ignore her. And I might add, she is not a beggar.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

"There is one homeless(I assume) woman that is sitting outside the station sometimes. She's been there for years and is harmless. She occasionally shouts out at someone, but that's it."

Honestly, this is nothing compared to most cities in the States. Particularly Baltimore, where I'm from.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM

We prefer to stay in the HBF area because it is close to the trains and the Altstadt. It is like most downtown area with an occasional bar or strip joint but certainly not scary.