Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   How is my French Riviera and Italy itinerary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/how-is-my-french-riviera-and-italy-itinerary-40088/)

George Mar 15th, 1999 02:48 PM

How is my French Riviera and Italy itinerary?

Any advice on the itinerary below? Cities? # of nights? Romantic hotels to reserve? Is S. Margherita worthwhile? <BR> <BR>May 31 <BR>arrive in Nice in AM, stay in French Riviera (Mougins) <BR>June 1 <BR>stay in French Riviera (St. Paul de Vence) <BR>June 2 <BR>stay in French Riviera (Eze Village) <BR>June 3 <BR>stay in French Riviera (Eze Village) <BR>June 4 <BR>from Nice to Santa Margherita by train, stay in S. Margherita (to see Portofino) <BR>June 5 <BR>S. Margherita to Cinque Terre by train, stay in Cinque Terre (Vernazza) <BR>June 6 <BR>from Cinque Terre to Florence, stay in Florence <BR>June 7 <BR>stay in Florence <BR>June 8 <BR>stay in Florence <BR>June 9 <BR>from Florence to Venice by train, stay in Venice <BR>June 10 <BR>stay in Venice <BR>June 11 <BR>stay in Venice <BR>June 12 <BR>leave Venice in the AM <BR> <BR>This itinerary is for our honeymoon. We are looking forward to the scenery, food, nightlife (especially in Fr.Riv.), and staying in some of the more romantic and charming (not necessarily most expensive) hotels. We will undoubtedly do some of the typical tourist things-especially in Florence and Venice, but we are not interested in trying to do everything (relaxation is key!). <BR> <BR>Any advise would be appreciated! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Ellen Mar 15th, 1999 03:30 PM

<BR>I love the places you are visiting and you'll have an awesome trip. You didn't say if you wee going by rail or by car. This is important to better provide feedback on your travel. <BR> <BR>I think the number of cities is reasonable with the Cinque Terre being a little on the skimpy side for time. By the time you get there and find your hotel etc. it will take up a few hours. So, I may suggest staying in Santa Margherita 2 nights and just taking the train back at the end of the day. I find that checking in and out of hotels etc. is time consuming. You have to do all the formalities and find the new places etc. If you are going by rail, you need to tote your baggage extra times. It is also for this reason that I would not change hotels day 1 to day 2 of your trip. If you can get to one location from the other by local train etc., I'd not bother changing hotels. <BR> <BR>By the way, I stayed at the Hotel Jolanda in Santa Margherita Ligure which I thought was excellent and the best value I ever had in a hotel. If you e-mail me directly, I can forward their web sites etc. The pictures really represent the hotel. I paid about $80/night for a single room and felt like queen for a day. <BR>Ellen

adrienne Mar 16th, 1999 03:59 AM

<BR>George - Santa Margherrita is absolutely worthwhile. Was there a few years ago and loved it. Re your French Riviera portion of the trip...are you staying in the four towns you mentioned or visiting them during the day. If you're planning to move your hotel 3 times in 4 days this is too much. None of those towns are far apart from each other and you can stay in any of them and do day trips if you have a car (you didn't say). There are lots of other interesting towns in the area. Email me if you want further recommendations. I'm planning to spend a week in the French Riviera in May. <BR> <BR>Regards, Adrienne <BR>

George Mar 16th, 1999 06:24 AM

Ellen, <BR> <BR>We will be traveling by car in the French Riviera and then by train from Nice onward. <BR> <BR>The reason I was going to stay in S. Margherita was because I've heard that area (especially Portofino) is beautiful. I planned to move on to Cinque Terra and stay there because I've heard the same. Is it not as worthwhile as some people say? <BR> <BR>Furthermore, I am hesitant to back-track on the travel route. I figure it is better to move forward therefore shortening my travel to Florence (from Cinque Terre to Florence rather than S. Margherita to Florence). <BR> <BR>Thoughts anyone?

Ellen Mar 16th, 1999 01:55 PM

<BR>George, <BR>If you do have a car, moving forward is at least a little more feasible. I totally agree with the other poster that you should still not change locations 3 times in 4 days. Choose between the two places night 1 and 2. <BR> <BR>As far as staying in Cinque Terre region, Vernazza, I have read hideous things about the traffic and small roads. The train from Santa Margherita is cheap enough and I still recommend this over Vernazza. Even off peak when I went, Cinque Terre was VERY crowded and overpriced too. Rick Steves fault I'm sure! I actually thought Portofino was nice but was quite impressed with Santa Margherita too. <BR> <BR>I don't know. I feel it is stressful to find the new place, check in etc. It always takes longer to get the directions down, check in, check out etc. If this hasn't stressed you on prior trips, you can try moving around. If you find it was too stressful etc, you can put on your list of things not to do the next time around! <BR> <BR>Ellen

George Mar 17th, 1999 05:34 AM

Thanks for your advice Ellen. I am serioiusly considering your suggestions! <BR> <BR>George

wendy Mar 17th, 1999 09:10 AM

For Venice, I have heard the Hotel Flora is great! <BR> <BR>Chck out www.karenbrown.com for some B&B or Inn recommendations.

Barbara Mar 17th, 1999 08:29 PM

<BR>George, <BR> <BR>A few years ago we stayed in Levanto at Hotel Stella Maris (see Karen Brown), enjoyed the gorgeous panoramic beach and charming town, and visited the towns of the Cinque Terre by train (5 min. walk from hotel). It was very pleasant to return to this quiet town in the evening and the hotel is gorgeous. We had room #4 and it was spectacular. Hotel Flora in Venice is lovely, but if you choose it, be sure to request a large room as some of them are quite small. Hotel Accademia is also a favorite. The hotels and inns in Karen Brown's guides are always romantic. Have a wonderful honeymoon.